Malaysia

One year on, Putra Heights blast victims await return home amid slow rebuilding

Displaced families continue to endure cramped living conditions as repairs progress unevenly and residents press for stronger safety guarantees before gas pipeline resumes operations

Updated 4 months ago · Published on 01 Apr 2026 9:01AM

One year on, Putra Heights blast victims await return home amid slow rebuilding
Residents sought compensation for losses not covered by insurance, engaging with Petronas Gas Bhd to address outstanding claims - April 1, 2026

A YEAR after the gas pipeline explosion in Putra Heights forced mass evacuations, many residents remain displaced, grappling with prolonged uncertainty as rebuilding works continue and questions over safety persist.

The blast on April 1 last year devastated parts of Taman Putra Harmoni, leaving families such as that of Loh Weng Fei and his wife Katie Phan still living in cramped temporary accommodation.

The couple and their two children have been sharing a single room at a relative’s home since the incident, prompting one of their children to move into a school hostel due to lack of space.

“My daughter goes to school six days a week, so I only get to see her once a week. I miss her so much,” Phan told The Star.

Residents say they have been trying to adjust to the disruption while waiting for repairs to be completed.

“Now, we are just hoping for repairs to be finished so that we can move back in,” said another resident, Yap Geok Wah.

A visit to Jalan Putra Harmoni 1/3, the site of the explosion, shows reconstruction progressing at varying speeds, with some homes nearing completion while others remain under repair.

According to Francis Koh, the initial months after the disaster were especially difficult for affected households.

“The Housing and Local Government Ministry had introduced the repair-and rebuild programme for those whose homes were destroyed.

“Letters of acceptance were prepared for those who agreed to the programme and by September 2025 works started.

“At the Amber section of the neighbourhood, we have 22 houses under this programme.

“They are mostly located along Jalan Putra Harmoni 1/3C and Jalan Putra Harmoni 1/3D.

“Of the 22, repairs for three were completed at the end of last December.

“Mine was one of the three,” he added.

Koh said he returned to his home in late January alongside two neighbours, but many others are still waiting.

“During our engagement with the ministry, the developer, main contractor and Subang Jaya City Council just before Hari Raya, we were told that residents could be looking at August as a possible date for repair completion,” he said.

Residents have also raised technical concerns during the rebuilding process, particularly regarding structural damage caused by the heat of the explosion.

“At first, only broken roof tiles were scheduled to be replaced but residents pointed out that the intense heat from the blast had compromised their durability.

“After our appeals, it was finally agreed that all the roof tiles would be replaced and the wooden roof trusses would be repaired,” he said.

Another point of contention has been the scope of restoration, with authorities initially committing to return homes only to their original condition.

“After 15 years, some of the houses had already undergone approved extensions.

“Yet repairs would only be carried out up to the houses’ original condition before the extensions,” Koh added.

Residents have also sought compensation for losses not covered by insurance, engaging with Petronas Gas Bhd to address outstanding claims.

“After a series of town halls, PGB came back to us with a third-party insurance programme called Laman, which was announced last September.

“Now the more important thing is to ensure there are safety mechanisms in place when the gas pipeline is restored.

“We are asking PGB to put in more alerts that are visible, like alarms or lights when something happens such as pressure changes or when there is any leakage.

“PGB has also set up a WhatsApp group with the residents so that there is direct communication between both parties.

“In preparation for any future emergencies, PGB, the Fire and Rescue Department and Subang Jaya City Council will be doing a safety route review.

“A fire drill will also be conducted,” he said.

Local assemblyman S. Preakas said he remained committed to ensuring residents received appropriate compensation, as recovery efforts continue a year after the disaster. - April 1, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Kepong MP: Hadi has no immunity from law over alleged anti-DAP claims

Malaysia

Malaysia escalates haze concerns to Indonesia as Sarawak air quality worsens

Malaysia

Govt targets 30% cut in imported seed dependence by 2040

Malaysia

Neighbourly dispute turns violent, 80-year-old struck with iron rod

Malaysia

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

‘Why hasn’t my husband come to see me?’: Woman unaware family died in crash

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Three jewellery shop robberies in five days sparks concern