COMMUNICATIONS Minister Datuk Seri Fahmi Fadzil will summon the chief executive officers of telecommunications companies to explain allegations that excessive numbers of SIM cards are being registered and subsequently misused in online scams.
Fahmi said the telco executives would be required to provide a full explanation before the end of today, warning that firm action would follow if the allegations were proven.
"If this is true, the telcos will have a hard time answering. I will call them in to meet me and provide a full explanation of what has happened," he told reporters after launching the 2026 National Anti-Scam Awareness Programme at Royale Chulan Damansara in Petaling Jaya today.
Also present were National Financial Crime Prevention Centre (NFCC) director-general Datuk Seri Shamshun Baharin Mohd Jamil and Malaysian Muslim Consumers Association (PPIM) chief activist and co-founder Datuk Nadzim Johan.
Fahmi said the ministry had already tightened regulations, including requirements for SIM card registration and telephone number verification through telecommunications companies' applications using MyDigital ID.
He said the ministry would investigate allegations that telecommunications companies had allowed excessive numbers of prepaid SIM cards to be registered, potentially enabling their misuse for criminal activities.
"Telecommunications companies may have registered an excessive number (of prepaid SIM cards) because we have found that a number of telephone numbers were registered and eventually used for improper purposes.
"So I will look into this matter, including seeking further information through NGOs such as PPIM, and take action if this is indeed happening," he said.
Fahmi also said the ministry would take firm action if any telecommunications company was found to have colluded with scam syndicates in carrying out financial fraud.
Earlier, Nadzim alleged that PPIM had identified at least eight telecommunications companies that allowed prepaid SIM cards to be registered without limits.
He claimed that one victim had 400 telephone numbers registered under the person's name, which was allegedly linked to a prepaid SIM mule syndicate.
"We sincerely hope serious action will be taken by the Communications Ministry. The ministry's decision to summon the CEOs of these telecommunications companies is a good move so they can explain what is happening, particularly the widespread scams involving the sale of prepaid SIM cards.
"In a recent case reported to PPIM, one victim had 400 SIM cards registered under the person's name.
"Under the regulations, foreigners are only allowed to register two SIM cards, while Malaysians are limited to five. So how could 400 SIM cards be registered under one person's name, with a telecommunications company allowing this to happen?" he alleged.
Nadzim also urged the authorities to investigate whether telecommunications companies had acted as masterminds or colluded with cartels or syndicates involved in prepaid SIM mule operations, which he alleged had contributed to scam losses running into millions of ringgit. - August 20, 2026