Malaysia

Cannot pin blame for Melaka loss solely on Anwar, say NGOs

They rebuke Anthony Loke for call to reconsider PKR president as sole PM candidate

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 29 Nov 2021 2:35PM

Cannot pin blame for Melaka loss solely on Anwar, say NGOs
Otai Reformis 1998 secretary Abdul Razak Ismail says that the Melaka election was completely new for Pakatan Harapan due to the enforcement of standard operating procedures that limited the ability of parties to hold open talks and mobilise political machinery. – Suara Marhaen Facebook pic, November 29, 2021

by Qistina Nadia Dzulqarnain

KUALA LUMPUR – Non-governmental organisations have lambasted DAP national organising secretary Anthony Loke’s call to reconsider Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim as the sole candidate for the prime minister’s post, following PKR’s wipeout in the Melaka election. 

In a joint press conference today, Otai Reformis 1998 and Gabungan Bertindak Memorandum Rakyat Malaysia (GBMRM) expressed their condemnation of Loke’s comments and defended the PKR president. 

Otai Reformis 1998 secretary Abdul Razak Ismail stated that the loss suffered by Pakatan Harapan during the Melaka election should not be pinned solely on Anwar as many other factors contributed to the defeat. 

“The Melaka election was completely new for PH due to the enforcement of standard operating procedures that limited the ability of parties to hold open talks and mobilise political machinery. 

“Instead of putting the blame on Anwar, post-mortems and further analyses should be conducted by the party to determine what exactly went wrong so that they will stand a better chance come GE15,” he said, adding that Loke should not have jumped the gun when making the statement. 

Echoing Razak’s sentiments was GBMRM president Mustapa Mansor, who pointed out that the state election saw a low voter turnout rate that he alleged contributed to the opposition party’s loss. 

“Nearly 20% of PH voters did not return to Melaka to vote. If voter turnout rates had been higher, we would have surely been in a tighter competition with BN and PN.

“There was no need for Loke to make a public statement on the matter as he could have raised his concerns during presidential council meetings among PH leaders,” Mustapa said. 

On November 27, The Malaysian Insight had reported Loke as saying that the coalition should instead talk more about the reform agenda, and not just about making Anwar prime minister

Meanwhile, both groups also lamented the recent increase in the price of goods, and urged the rakyat to fight and protest against worrying changes that will directly impact their lives. 

“We are giving the government one week to respond to our concerns. If they fail to do so within the given amount of time, Otai Reformasi 1998 along with other organisations will mobilise the people to make our frustrations known,” Razak said. 

A flash mob was held by the roadside following the press conference today, with passers-by honking to show their support for the cause. – The Vibes, November 29, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 4y

I’m not vindictive, won’t drop candidates in GE simply for being critics: Zahid

Malaysia / 4y

Melaka BN reps never had issues with MB’s leadership: Ab Rauf

Malaysia / 4y

Bulk of Perikatan messaging in Melaka polls about race, religion: report

Malaysia / 4y

Poor turnout warrants making voting compulsory: former EC chair

Malaysia / 4y

Umno general assembly to focus on GE15, Muafakat Nasional

Malaysia / 4y

Perikatan used most amount of racial, religious rhetoric in Melaka polls: study

Spotlight

Malaysia

Nepturis received RM16.4m for Klang Utara police headquarters, court told

Sports & Fitness

Heat takes toll on athletes at SUKMA 2026

Malaysia

MOF denies viral ‘RM1,700 eMADANI aid’ for housewives, single mothers and senior citizens

Malaysia

Pahang police reject claims of drug cartel operating in Genting Highlands

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Chow hits back at Rafizi, says DAP’s decision to stay must be respected

By Ian McIntyre

Sports & Fitness

RM200 Madani F1 tickets sell out as Malaysians flock to Sepang race

Malaysia

CAP claims existence of 'Malaysian Epstein Class' behind Tabung Haji scandal

Malaysia

CPJ calls for withdrawal of excessive RM100m defamation suit against veteran journalist

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

All Malaysia Airlines pilots test negative for drugs

You may be interested

Malaysia

BN remains committed with unity government till end of term

Malaysia

Motorcyclists account for two-thirds of road deaths as govt targets 50% cut by 2030

Malaysia

BN, UMNO preparing to ‘back stab’ unity government - Puad Zarkashi

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Tanker driver claims trial over deaths of mother and 12-year-old son in Temerloh crash

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Anwar vows Tabung Haji act overhaul

Malaysia

Targeted diesel subsidy system improvements expected in ‘1 to 2 months’

Malaysia

Budget 2027 to drive Malaysian products into global markets, says Amir Hamzah

Malaysia

Nancy Shukri seeks more funding to expand legal aid for women and single mothers