Malaysia

Mixed feelings for Lucky Garden hawkers at soon-to-open food court

While happy to be back, long-time operators worry about limited space

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 24 Apr 2022 10:00AM

Mixed feelings for Lucky Garden hawkers at soon-to-open food court
Each stall at Bangsar’s Lucky Garden food court will be rented out at RM440 a month with an additional RM100 maintenance charge, according to DBKL licensing and business development department assistant director Ahmad Johaan Othman. – NOOREEZA HASHIM/The Vibes pic, April 24, 2022

by Qistina Nadia Dzulqarnain

KUALA LUMPUR – When news broke that the long-awaited food court at Bangsar’s Lucky Garden would open soon, the operators of the iconic Annuar Fish Head Curry stall were elated with the prospect of returning to their old stomping grounds.

But after a brief inspection of the soon-to-be opened food court, they are not so sure if this was what they had waited two long years for.

“I am not complaining, but the size of the stall is a bit small. It also looks like our food truck has more space and is easier to operate from,” said Mohamed Salman, whose uncle runs the famed fish head curry stall.

Mohamed Salman, whose uncle runs famed fish head curry stall Annuar Fish Head Curry, says their food truck has more space and is easier to operate from. – NOOREEZA HASHIM/The Vibes pic, April 24, 2022
Mohamed Salman, whose uncle runs famed fish head curry stall Annuar Fish Head Curry, says their food truck has more space and is easier to operate from. – NOOREEZA HASHIM/The Vibes pic, April 24, 2022

Long-time food traders in Lucky Garden had to vacate their premises in June 2020 to make way for the food court project launched by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL).

The traders recently held a meeting with DBKL officials to inspect the food court, which will have 18 stalls measuring 10 by 12 feet each. 

Each stall will be rented out at RM440 a month with an additional RM100 maintenance charge, according to DBKL licensing and business development department assistant director Ahmad Johaan Othman.

Yusof Abdullah, whose tom yum stall was a local foodie favourite, said that instead of cooking orders on the spot like he once used to, he is considering preparing only a few basic dishes at home and bringing them over to the new location to sell with drinks. 

Yusof Abdullah, whose tom yum stall was a local foodie favourite, says that instead of cooking orders on the spot like he once used to, he is considering preparing only a few basic dishes at home and bringing them over to the new location to sell with drinks. – NOOREEZA HASHIM/The Vibes pic, April 24, 2022
Yusof Abdullah, whose tom yum stall was a local foodie favourite, says that instead of cooking orders on the spot like he once used to, he is considering preparing only a few basic dishes at home and bringing them over to the new location to sell with drinks. – NOOREEZA HASHIM/The Vibes pic, April 24, 2022

“We’ll see, but it looks like it will be too hot to cook here. My dishes require a big flame and there is only one small ventilation fan in the stall,” he said.

Hawker Maniam Ratnam, who will offer Indian food at his stall, said that while the food court is a boon for traders who had previously operated in the area, the limited seating for customers might impede profits.

Hawker Maniam Ratnam, who will offer Indian food at his stall, says that while the food court is a boon for traders who had previously operated in the area, the limited seating for customers might impede profits. – NOOREEZA HASHIM/The Vibes pic, April 24, 2022
Hawker Maniam Ratnam, who will offer Indian food at his stall, says that while the food court is a boon for traders who had previously operated in the area, the limited seating for customers might impede profits. – NOOREEZA HASHIM/The Vibes pic, April 24, 2022

“My stall will be on the same row as Annuar Fish Head Curry, and they have always attracted big crowds. If all of his customers occupy the seats outside our stalls, then where will my customers sit?” he said.

Earlier, The Vibes reported that the project was supposed to be completed by September in 2020, four months after the hawkers were cleared out of the area, but had been postponed after opposition from several residents in the area who were up in arms over having a food court near residences. – NOOREEZA HASHIM/The Vibes pic, April 24, 2022
Earlier, The Vibes reported that the project was supposed to be completed by September in 2020, four months after the hawkers were cleared out of the area, but had been postponed after opposition from several residents in the area who were up in arms over having a food court near residences. – NOOREEZA HASHIM/The Vibes pic, April 24, 2022

The situation will be worse for hawkers who have been assigned lots that have no seating at all in front of their stalls, said Maniam, who is also Lorong Ara Kiri 3 Hawkers Association chairman.

Earlier, The Vibes reported that the project was supposed to be completed by September in 2020, four months after the hawkers were cleared out of the area, but had been postponed after opposition from several residents in the area who were up in arms over having a food court near residences.

A source familiar with the matter said individuals with homes on the fringes of the food court area had raised concerns regarding how their quality of life would be impacted by business operations at the food court. – The Vibes, April 24, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 4y

Lucky Garden food court set to open after years of adversity, delays

Spotlight

Malaysia

Nepturis received RM16.4m for Klang Utara police headquarters, court told

Sports & Fitness

Heat takes toll on athletes at SUKMA 2026

Malaysia

MOF denies viral ‘RM1,700 eMADANI aid’ for housewives, single mothers and senior citizens

Malaysia

Pahang police reject claims of drug cartel operating in Genting Highlands

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Chow hits back at Rafizi, says DAP’s decision to stay must be respected

By Ian McIntyre

Sports & Fitness

RM200 Madani F1 tickets sell out as Malaysians flock to Sepang race

Malaysia

CAP claims existence of 'Malaysian Epstein Class' behind Tabung Haji scandal

Malaysia

CPJ calls for withdrawal of excessive RM100m defamation suit against veteran journalist

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

All Malaysia Airlines pilots test negative for drugs

You may be interested

Malaysia

Nepturis received RM16.4m for Klang Utara police headquarters, court told

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Negeri Sembilan assembly erupts over RM180k allocation to PH lawmakers before dissolution

Malaysia

Attempt to smuggle methamphetamine worth RM12.26m into Malaysia foiled

Malaysia

Fifth MADANI budget to reinforce resilience, lift wages and protect households

Malaysia

PMO directives dictated Jana Wibawa contractor selections, High Court told

Malaysia

Teenager shot in both legs while fetching water in Lawas

Malaysia

MOF denies viral ‘RM1,700 eMADANI aid’ for housewives, single mothers and senior citizens