Malaysia

Labour Dept confirms Johor electronics factory violated employment laws

Action currently being taken by Johor division, says spokesman

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 22 Jun 2021 4:41PM

Labour Dept confirms Johor electronics factory violated employment laws
A spokesman for the Labour Department says it is in the midst of finalising its investigation before submitting a report to the Attorney-General’s Chambers for further action. – Wikipedia pic, June 22, 2021

KUALA LUMPUR – Malaysia’s largest electronics manufacturing service provider was found to have committed labour offences during last month’s raid on its factory in Johor. 

The Labour Department of Peninsular Malaysia said in a statement that action is currently being taken by the state division, in accordance with the provisions of the law. 

The department however did not name the factory in its statement, and denied a news report by a local portal that there was a raid conducted last Friday. 

A spokesman for the Labour Department told The Vibes that it is in the midst of finalising its investigation before submitting a report to the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) for further action. 

“I can’t reveal more. All I can say is that yes, there were offences committed by the factory. We leave it up to the AGC to decide (on the action),” she said. 

She added that the raid was conducted during the first half of May, when Muslims across the country were observing the fasting month. 

The officer did not confirm that the raid was conducted based on a tip-off when asked, but said raids are normally done either following complaints lodged by the public or insiders (workers), or through the department’s own intelligence. 

Meanwhile, United Kingdom-based Sunday Mirror had last Sunday alleged that an electronics factory in Johor Baru had been exploiting foreign workers, based on interviews it did with some of the staffers. 

Among other things, the article alleged that workers clocked up to 186 hours of overtime a month on top of the standard 48-hour working week, and shared rooms with 60 occupants. 

The factory was reported to be producing and delivering parts to a British company specialising in household appliances. 

The company that runs the Johor Baru factory, which also ships goods to the United States, is also under investigation by the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) over alleged labour conditions. 

If the claims are proven true, CBP said it will “issue a Withhold Release Order”. – The Vibes, June 22, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3y

Malaysia to join Alliance 8.7 to combat forced labour

Malaysia / 3y

M’sia, UK discuss further cooperation in tackling forced labour, human trafficking

Malaysia / 3y

Revamp foreign worker system to end monopoly, forced labour: Santiago

Malaysia / 3y

Ex-plantation supervisor pleads not guilty to exploiting family of five as forced labour

Opinion / 3y

Gloves off in Malaysia’s modern slavery struggle – Priya Sharma

Business / 3y

Wake-up call: Sime Darby Plantation talking with US CBP on forced labour claims

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Police probe viral street race after motorcycle riders block Johor expressway

Malaysia

API below 200: All schools in Sarawak will reopen tomorrow

Malaysia

PH, BN weigh Melaka election pact as Amirudin moves to open talks with Anwar

Malaysia

Billionaire numbers reach record high as wealth remains concentrated

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

Bersatu ‘technically’ no longer PN member, says Takiyuddin

Malaysia

Melaka election: MCA targets seven seats, aims to take two from DAP

Malaysia

Woman killed by collapsing iron pole after car crashes into Kajang food court