World

Trump warns of renewed strikes on Iran as Tehran threatens escalation

Washington signals a diplomatic window before potential fresh military action, while Iran vows retaliation and claims it has gained new combat capabilities following months of escalating West Asia conflict

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 20 May 2026 9:04AM

Trump warns of renewed strikes on Iran as Tehran threatens escalation
“I’m giving it two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday or Sunday, or early next week, within a limited period,” Trump says - May 20, 2026

UNITED States President Donald Trump has warned that Washington could resume military strikes against Iran within days if ongoing diplomatic efforts fail, sharply escalating tensions as both sides exchange increasingly hostile rhetoric following months of conflict across West Asia.

Trump said the United States was prepared to launch another major offensive should negotiations collapse, although he maintained that Washington still preferred to avoid a prolonged war.

“I’m giving it two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday or Sunday, or early next week, within a limited period,”  AFP reported Trump saying.

“You know how negotiations go with a country that is being badly defeated. They come to the negotiating table begging to reach an agreement.

“I hope we do not have to go to war, but we may have to launch another major strike. I’m still not sure,” he added.

The warning comes after Trump previously extended an open-ended ceasefire while seeking to contain a conflict that has increasingly become a political liability domestically, amid rising fuel prices in the United States and growing pressure ahead of November’s congressional elections.

However, Iran and several international observers have disputed Trump’s portrayal of the balance of power, arguing that Tehran retains significant leverage through its influence over the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz, a critical artery for global oil shipments.

Analysts have warned that any disruption to maritime traffic through the strait could trigger a sharp rise in global energy prices and destabilise international markets.

Iranian military spokesman Mohammad Akraminia warned that Tehran was prepared to “open new fronts against” the United States if Washington resumed military attacks.

“The Iranian military is using the ceasefire period to strengthen its combat capabilities,” he said.

At the same time, US Vice President JD Vance, who previously participated in failed negotiations with Iranian representatives in Pakistan, said Washington remained fully prepared militarily while continuing to pursue diplomatic options.

“A great deal of positive progress has been achieved, but we will continue working and ultimately either reach an agreement or not,” Vance said.

Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi warned that Iran was ready to destroy additional American aircraft should hostilities resume.

Araghchi said Iran had developed new military experience and operational capabilities during the previous stages of the conflict, warning that future confrontations would bring “more surprises”.

“With the lessons learned and the knowledge gained, the return of war will feature more surprises,” he said.

He also claimed Iranian forces had successfully downed advanced American F-35 fighter jets, describing the alleged achievement as a major demonstration of Iran’s military capabilities.

According to Araghchi, the incident proved that Iranian defence systems were capable of countering some of Washington’s most sophisticated military technologies.

The claims emerged as both nations continued escalating their rhetoric following heightened tensions throughout the region.

Araghchi additionally cited reports from the United States Congressional Research Service, which he claimed acknowledged significant American aerial losses during the conflict.

According to the reports referenced by the Iranian foreign minister, at least 42 fixed-wing aircraft, helicopters and drones were reportedly destroyed or damaged since military operations began on February 28.

The losses allegedly included fighter aircraft, aerial refuelling planes, helicopters and advanced drones, highlighting the intensity of the fighting and the growing challenges facing US air operations in increasingly complex defensive environments.

The conflict involving the United States and Israel against Iran reportedly began in late February under a campaign known as “Operation Epic Fury”, involving air strikes and missile exchanges across multiple locations.

Although a temporary ceasefire was reached in April, sporadic limited attacks have continued to be reported, with the regional security environment remaining highly volatile.

Security analysts say the latest statements from Tehran and Washington significantly raise the risk of renewed escalation at a time when diplomatic negotiations have yet to produce a definitive settlement.

The continuing confrontation between Tehran and Washington remains a major concern for the international community, amid fears that any new incident could ignite a far broader conflict across West Asia. - May 20, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

5.4-magnitude earthquake strikes Western Caroline Islands

World

Iran threatens ‘fully offensive’ posture as US peace efforts stall

World

US Envoy says Gaza disarmament could begin within 30 days as US pushes peace plan

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Venezuela earthquake death toll rises to 6,438 nearly two months after twin quakes

World

Two students killed in Philippine school shooting, gunman among dead

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Russia warns Britain it will pay ‘price’ over Ukraine drone strikes inside Russia