Business

Tech titans Alibaba, Tencent dive in Hong Kong on US ban fears

Shares sink after Wall Street Journal reports US govt depts assessing investment ban impact

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 07 Jan 2021 1:00PM

Tech titans Alibaba, Tencent dive in Hong Kong on US ban fears
E-commerce titan Alibaba has sunk more than 4%, and internet powerhouse Tencent shed 3.3% in morning trade after the Wall Street Journal said officials in multiple government departments were assessing the impact of an investment ban. – Twitter pic, January 7, 2021

HONG KONG – Shares in China’s two biggest companies Alibaba and Tencent tumbled in Hong Kong today in response to the media reports that the Trump administration plans to press ahead with a ban on Americans investing in them.

E-commerce titan Alibaba sank more than 4% and internet powerhouse Tencent shed 3.3% in morning trade after the Wall Street Journal said officials in multiple government departments were assessing the impact of an investment ban.

Such a move would be another blow to Alibaba, which has come under pressure from Chinese officials with regulators last month launching an anti-monopoly probe into it, while its fintech giant Ant Group was ordered to drastically change its business model.

The moves come as the government puts the squeeze on the once-unbridled empire of tech tycoon Jack Ma.

The Wall Street Journal report came the same day the New York Stock Exchange reversed course once again and said it would delist three Chinese telecom equities from trading owing to new United States government guidance.

Yesterday’s announcement capped a dizzying few days of confusing flip-flopping in which the stock exchange announced the removal at the weekend before making a U-turn on Monday, and then saying it would go ahead once more yesterday.

The latest decision came after Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin disagreed with Monday’s reversal.

The three state-owned telecom giants plunged, with China Unicom shedding nearly 8% while China Telecom was down 7% and China Mobile slipped 5.7%.

Trump issued an executive order in November banning Americans from investing in Chinese companies deemed to be supplying or supporting the country’s military and security apparatus, earning a sharp rebuke from Beijing.

On Tuesday night he signed an executive order banning transactions involving Alipay, WeChat Pay, and other apps linked to Chinese companies, drawing strong criticism from Beijing.

Alipay is owned by Alibaba and WeChat is owned by Tencent. 

The Wall Street Journal’s report said officials at the State Department, Department of Defense and Treasury Department had all discussed how to implement an investment ban on the two Chinese e-commerce giants. 

Any ban could have a profound effect on US markets.

While the three Chinese telecoms firms are comparatively small fry for the New York Stock Exchange, Alibaba and Tencent are China's two largest companies. 

At US$1.4 trillion (RM5.6 trillion), the combined market value of their primary listings is twice the size of Spain’s stock market, according to Bloomberg News. 

“If the bans are implemented then it;d be a huge thing for the market,” Steven Leung, executive director at Uob Kay Hian (Hong Kong) told Bloomberg.

“It’s still too early to say. After the Biden administration starts, the policy could change again.” – AFP, January 7, 2021

Related News

Business / 2y

Bursa Malaysia opens lower on lack of fresh leads

Business / 2y

Bursa Malaysia lower in early trade amid Middle East conflict

Business / 2y

Bursa Malaysia retreats after yesterday's gains to open lower

Business / 3y

China’s Alibaba sees 63% rise in April-June income

Business / 3y

China fines Jack Ma-backed Ant Group ¥7.12 bil for breaking laws

Business / 3y

Asian markets swing as inflation, rates worry investors 

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets