Business

MEF calls on govt to reintroduce economy-stimulating measures

Survivability of most businesses, especially small, medium enterprises, depends on quality of support from authorities

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 12 Jan 2021 7:30AM

MEF calls on govt to reintroduce economy-stimulating measures
Reintroducing measures implemented last March to aid businesses in braving the pandemic could very much help companies survive the latest round of the movement control order, says Malaysian Employers Federation president Datuk Syed Hussain Syed Husman. – Bernama pic, January 12, 2021

KUALA LUMPUR – The Malaysian Employers Federation (MEF) has urged the government to consider reintroducing the employment retention programme, wage subsidy programme and loan moratorium, especially for small and medium enterprises (SMEs). 

In light of the latest round of the movement control order (MCO), the survivability of most companies very much hinges on the support employers and industries receive from the government, said MEF president Datuk Syed Hussain Syed Husman.

“We have given the government our views on the impact of a full-scale MCO on both large companies and SMEs, and the great difficulties that we are all still facing,” he said in a statement today. 

In a special address today, Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said the MCO will be enforced from January 13 to 26 in six states, namely Penang, Selangor, the Federal Territories (Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Labuan), Melaka, Johor and Sabah.

During the same period, conditional MCO will be enforced in Pahang, Perak, Negri Sembilan, Kedah, Terengganu and Kelantan, while Perlis and Sarawak will be placed under the recovery MCO.

Syed Hussain noted that the measures introduced during the MCO in March last year should be reintroduced this time around as the current wage subsidy programme is only applicable to the hotel and retail sectors.

“At the end of the day, human life is sacred and we must all come together to support what is right for the people and our nation,” he said.

Meanwhile, he said the federation has called on all employers to abide strictly by the latest MCO enforcement, which is part of the government’s efforts to contain the spread of Covid-19 and flatten the curve of new infections and fatalities. – Bernama, January 12, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit