Business

Emirates suspends flights to Australia’s 3 biggest cities

Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne affected; decision comes as nation further restricts arrivals over virus fears

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 16 Jan 2021 11:30AM

Emirates suspends flights to Australia’s 3 biggest cities
The Dubai-based Emirates is one of the last to maintain routes into and out of Australia’s east coast throughout most of the Covid-19 pandemic. – Pixabay pic, January 16, 2021

SYDNEY – Emirates has suspended flights to Australia’s three largest cities as the country further restricts international arrivals over fears of new virus strains.

The Dubai-based carrier is one of the last to maintain routes into and out of the country’s east coast throughout most of the pandemic, but yesterday evening told travellers that a handful of planned flights next week will be the last.

“Due to operational reasons, Emirates flights to/from Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne will be suspended until further notice,” said the airline on its website.

Emirates will still run two flights a week to Perth, but the cuts are another barrier for tens of thousands of stranded Australians still attempting to return home.

The country’s borders have effectively been closed since last March to curb the spread of Covid-19, with the government even limiting the number of citizens allowed to return.

Travel restrictions were further tightened last week, with arrival numbers slashed and all travellers into the country requiring a negative virus test before flying.

Making the changes, Prime Minister Scott Morrison cited a growing number of people in quarantine testing positive for new strains of the coronavirus.

Fears that a variant from Britain, believed to be more contagious, has leaked into Brisbane from hotel quarantine triggered a snap lockdown in the city last week.

“There are many unknowns and uncertainties in relation to the new strain, and so, that’s why this precautionary approach, we believe, is very sensible,” said Morrison.

Australia continues to deal relatively well with the virus, having recorded about 28,600 cases and 909 deaths in a population of 25 million. – AFP, January 16, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 4mth

Malaysia, Australia back Pope Leo's call for peace, urge dialogue to end global conflicts

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Education / 7mth

Legal board withdraws recognition of law degrees from 2 Australian, NZ universities

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

World / 10mth

Australian authorities block 10 containers of illegal tyre waste export to Malaysia

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit