Business

Microsoft seeks to fill void if Google exits Australia

Bing search engine could expand as ‘Plan B’ option

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Feb 2021 11:00AM

Microsoft seeks to fill void if Google exits Australia
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella contacted Prime Minister Scott Morrison within days to make clear Microsoft’s Bing search engine could expand if Google exits, The Australian reports. – AFP pic, February 1, 2021

SYDNEY – Microsoft has a “Plan B available” if Google follows through on threats to leave Australia over plans to compel digital giants to pay news organisations for content, local media reported today.

Australia’s government has designed a mandatory news media bargaining code that would force Facebook and Google to compensate local publishers for hosting news stories on their platforms.

Both US tech firms have threatened to block key services in Australia if the new law goes ahead.

Google Australia managing director Mel Silva last week told a parliamentary inquiry the company would withdraw its popular Search function from Australia if the code becomes law.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella contacted Prime Minister Scott Morrison within days to make clear Microsoft’s Bing search engine could expand if Google exits, The Australian reported.

The pair spoke last week, the newspaper said, with Nadella reportedly saying Microsoft had a “Plan B available”.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has confirmed the call, saying the government was in detailed discussions with “players across the industry”.

Australia has reserved the right to impose the code on other platforms and it is unclear whether Microsoft’s MSN service, which links to local news stories, could be affected in the future.

“With respect to the current controversy over a potential code of conduct governing Google and Facebook, Microsoft is not directly involved and we wouldn’t want to comment on that ongoing process,” a Microsoft spokesman said in a statement.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has also been lobbying Australia, contacting Frydenberg last week to discuss the code and its impact on the social media giant. 

Frydenberg told the ABC it was a “very constructive discussion” but “Zuckerberg didn’t convince me to back down”.

Facebook has warned it could block Australian users from sharing local news stories on its platform.

“I don’t dismiss the threats but I’m not intimidated by them either,” Frydenberg said.

“What I do know is that media businesses should be paid for content. And what I do know is that... whether it’s on this issue, whether it’s on cyber bullying or terrorist content on the internet, we have been prepared to take on the digital giants.”

The law would require Google and Facebook to strike commercial agreements with news organisations or enter mandatory arbitration over the size of payments if they fail to agree.

The world-first proposal is being closely watched as governments grapple with how best to curb the growing power of tech giants.

While it has attracted wide backing from local media outlets, the US government has urged Australia to abandon the “burdensome” plan and World Wide Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee has warned it could make the internet “unworkable”. – AFP, February 1, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 4mth

Malaysia, Australia back Pope Leo's call for peace, urge dialogue to end global conflicts

Malaysia / 5mth

Google investment expected to generate US$3.2 billion, 26,500 jobs

Education / 7mth

Legal board withdraws recognition of law degrees from 2 Australian, NZ universities

World / 10mth

Australian authorities block 10 containers of illegal tyre waste export to Malaysia

World / 1y

Argentine cop wins USD16,500 after nude picture appears on Google Street View

World / 1y

Australia PM Albanese makes stunning comeback with landslide win

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert