Business

US sticks by tariffs in Boeing-Airbus trade spat

‘Unnecessary at this time to revise’ levies, says US Trade Representative notice due to be published today

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 12 Feb 2021 8:32AM

US sticks by tariffs in Boeing-Airbus trade spat
After a WTO ruling last October, the EU levied additional customs duties on US$4 billion worth of US products, including Boeing aircraft. – AFP pic, February 12, 2021

WASHINGTON – United States President Joe Biden’s administration yesterday said it will maintain punitive tariffs on some European imports as part the long-running trade dispute between Boeing and Airbus.

In a notice due to be published in the Federal Register today, the US Trade Representative (USTR) said “it is unnecessary at this time to revise” the levies.

Since coming to power last month, Biden has suggested that he will not modify the latest tariffs enacted by his predecessor, Donald Trump. These took effect on January 12.

But, the president has said he wants to restore good ties with traditional US allies, including the countries of the European Union, after they came under severe strain with Trump’s “America First” approach to trade and foreign policy.

The US and EU have, since 2004, been squabbling over alleged unfair trade practices, with both sides claiming the other provided support to private companies, such as aircraft manufacturers Boeing and Airbus, in violation of international trade agreements.

Both sides have won rulings from the World Trade Organisation (WTO) that permit punitive tariffs.

In December, USTR announced new tariffs on aircraft parts, wine, cognac and brandies from France and Germany, adding to a long list of products from EU countries that have been subjected to 25% duties since 2019.

After a WTO ruling in October, the EU the following month levied additional customs duties on US$4 billion (RM16.17 billion) worth of American products, including Boeing planes and also farm produce, such as wheat and tobacco, plus strong alcohol and chocolate.

The notice released here yesterday said: “USTR will continue to consider the action taken in this investigation.”

In a phone call on January 24, French President Emmanuel Macron suggested to Biden that they broker a settlement to the trade dispute, reported CNBC.

It said the Biden administration is non-committal on the idea. – AFP, February 12, 2021

Related News

Business / 3mth

Airbus A220 deal will cost US$19 billion - Fernandes

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 1y

Boeing aircraft acquisition strengthens Malaysia's position in global aviation inductry

World / 2y

Biden drops out of presidential race

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Business / 2y

US court orders J&J, Kenvue to pay US$45 million over death of baby powder user

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir