Business

British Airways parent IAG loss tops €1.1 billion in Q1

This, however, is a reduction compared with first 3 months of last year

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 07 May 2021 6:30PM

British Airways parent IAG loss tops €1.1 billion in Q1
IAG has axed around 10,000 jobs at British Airways – or one quarter of the carrier’s workforce. – EPA pic, May 7, 2021

LONDON – IAG, the owner of British Airways and other European airlines, today posted a net loss of €1.1 billion (RM5.4 billion) in the first quarter (Q1) of this year, as the coronavirus pandemic grounded planes.

It was a reduction, however, on the company’s net loss of €1.68 billion in the first three months of last year, as Covid-19 took off, IAG said in an earnings statement.

It added that group revenue collapsed 79% to €968 million in Q1 of this year.

Passenger numbers dived 87% compared with a year earlier at the company that also owns Spanish airline Iberia and Ireland’s Aer Lingus.

“We’re doing everything in our power to emerge in a stronger competitive position,” IAG chief executive Luis Gallego said in the statement.

The earnings update comes a day after rival Air France-KLM posted a net loss totalling €1.5 billion for Q1.

International travel

IAG said it will not be providing 2021 profit guidance “given the uncertainty over the timing of the lifting of government travel restrictions and the continued impact and duration of Covid-19”.

Britain’s government is today set to reveal which foreign destinations people can fly to without quarantining.

The United Kingdom has set a date of May 17 to relaunch international travel using a “traffic-light” system.

Travel destinations will be ranked green, amber or red according to virus risk, according to the government led by Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

International travel to and from the UK is banned, except for a handful of permitted reasons. This has created massive pent-up demand for summer holidays abroad.

“We’re absolutely confident that a safe restart to travel can happen as shown by the scientific data,” Gallego added in the earnings statement.

“We’re ready to fly, but government action is needed.”

He called for “travel corridors without restrictions between countries with successful vaccination roll-outs and effective testing, such as the UK and the United States”.

He added that there needs to be affordable and simple testing, well-staffed borders and digital passes for testing and vaccination documentation.

“These measures will enable a safe reopening of our skies.

“There’s a high level of pent-up demand, and aviation will play a critical role in reconnecting people and getting economies back up and running again.”

Owing to Covid-19 fallout, IAG has axed around 10,000 jobs at British Airways – or one quarter of the carrier’s workforce – and cut 500 positions at Aer Lingus.

IAG, meanwhile, plunged into a record annual net loss of €6.9 billion last year. – AFP, May 7, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Flight crew screening system needs to be reviewed, passenger confidence restored - Tiong

Malaysia / 2w

Najib must be held accountable for 1MDB's US$5.6 billion loss -  lawyer

Malaysia / 4mth

MOT intensifies engagement with MAHB, CAAM to support aviation sector

Malaysia / 6mth

Woman goes on rampage at restaurant, causes losses estimated at RM45k

Malaysia / 7mth

Guest 'from hell' - Homestay damaged after denying extended stay

Malaysia / 10mth

RM4.9b lost due to illegal electricity connections for cryptocurrency mining, bitcoin

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns