Business

Disney reports US$710 mil loss

However, shares jump in after-hours trade on news that Disney+ has hit 73 million subscribers

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Nov 2020 9:45AM

Disney reports US$710 mil loss
Disney’s revenue slumps 23% from last year to US$14.7 billion in a dismal fourth quarter. – Pixabay pic, November 13, 2020

LOS ANGELES – Walt Disney Co yesterday reported a hefty loss in the just-ended quarter as the Covid-19 pandemic hits its theme parks and cinema operations, but shares rose on gains in its new streaming television service.

The media-entertainment powerhouse reported a loss of US$710 million (RM2.93 billion) in the period ending October 3, compared with a US$777 million profit in the same period a year ago.

Revenue slumped 23% from last year to US$14.7 billion in the company’s dismal fourth quarter.

But, Disney shares jumped in after-hours trade on news that its recently launched streaming television service, Disney+, has hit 73 million subscribers, in a positive sign for the firm shifting to compete with rivals like Netflix.

“Even with the disruption caused by Covid-19, we’ve been able to effectively manage our businesses while also taking bold, deliberate steps to position our company for greater long-term growth,” said chief executive Bob Chapek.

“The real bright spot has been our direct-to-consumer business, which is key to the future of our company, and on this anniversary of the launch of Disney+, we’re pleased to report that, as of the end of the fourth quarter, the service had more than 73 million paid subscribers – far surpassing our expectations in just its first year.”

The earnings statement said results “were adversely impacted” by the pandemic, with the closure of many of Disney’s theme parks and resorts, and the suspension of its cruise operations.

“In addition, at Studio Entertainment, we have delayed, or in some cases, shortened or cancelled, theatrical releases, and stage-play performances have been suspended since late in the second quarter.

“Since March 2020, we have experienced significant disruptions in the production and availability of content, including the shift of key live sports programming from our third quarter to the fourth quarter and into fiscal 2021, as well as the suspension of production of most film and television content since late in the second quarter.” – AFP, November 13, 2020

Related News

Entertainment / 2y

Three things you need to know about ‘Ahsoka’

Entertainment / 3y

Hollywood writers slam ‘milestone of shame’ as strike hits 100 days

Film / 3y

Disney cracks open vast archive for centennial celebrations

Entertainment / 3y

Disney's use of AI for Marvel's Secret Invasion sparks anxiety and anger in Hollywood

Film / 3y

Pixar returns with immigrant fable Elemental

Entertainment / 3y

Marvel swaps superpowers for spies in ‘Secret Invasion’

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit