Business

GM quits Trump suit against California fuel economy rules

Chief executive ‘inspired’ by Joe Biden’s plan that ‘outlines a clear intention to expand vehicle electrification in the US’

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 24 Nov 2020 1:10PM

GM quits Trump suit against California fuel economy rules

NEW YORK – General Motors yesterday withdrew from a challenge backed by Donald Trump’s administration to California’s fuel economy rules that endorse president-elect Joe Biden’s policy for boosting the use of electric auto.

In October last year, GM – along with Toyota and Fiat Chrysler – announced support for the challenge to California, arguing that fuel economy rules should be set federally.

The Trump administration had taken a confrontational posture towards California’s rules, which adopt stricter environmental standards than those set at the federal level.

But yesterday, the US auto giant said it is “immediately withdrawing” from the legal action and invited other automakers to follow suit, according to a letter from GM chief executive Mary Barra to environmental groups.

Barra, who met Biden earlier this month and has had a fractious relationship with Trump, said she is “confident that the Biden administration, California and the US auto industry... can collaboratively find the pathway that will deliver an all-electric future”.

Barra said she is “inspired” by Biden’s “Build Back Better” plan, “which outlines a clear intention to expand vehicle electrification in the US, create one million jobs, install 550,000 charging stations, and position American auto workers and manufacturers to win the race for electrification”.

Biden welcomed the move, calling it “encouraging news for our economy, our planet, and the long-term success of American autoworkers”.

“GM’s decision reinforces how short-sighted the Trump administration’s efforts to erode American ingenuity and America’s defences against the climate threat really are,” he said, adding that the manufacturer’s choice will have a “positive ripple effect” on the manufacturing economy.

GM announced last week that it will boost investment in electric and autonomous vehicle technology by US$7 billion (RM28.65 billion) through mid-decade as it unveils more all-electric vehicles.

Barra has clashed with Trump a number of times, including earlier this year, when the president accused GM of dragging its feet in shifting production capacity to build ventilators for the battle against the coronavirus. – AFP, November 24, 2020

Related News

Business / 3y

General Motors cutting several hundred contract jobs

Business / 4y

General Motors sees solid 2022 on strong demand, improving chip supply

Business / 5y

GM expands Chevrolet Bolt EV recall, adding US$1 bil in costs

Tech / 5y

CES 2021: Cadillac has created a flying taxi concept

Business / 5y

General Motors to bring pickups production back to Canada

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert