Business

US extends TikTok sale deadline to Dec 4

Ban has been challenged in courts

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 26 Nov 2020 9:00AM

US extends TikTok sale deadline to Dec 4
US President Donald Trump claims that TikTok can be used to collect data on Americans for Chinese espionage. – November 26, 2020

WASHINGTON – The US Treasury yesterday said it had extended by seven days the November 27 deadline given to the Chinese owner of TikTok to sell the popular social media platform's American business.

"The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) has granted ByteDance a one-week extension, from November 27, 2020 to December 4, 2020 to allow time to review a revised submission that the Committee recently received," a Treasury spokesman said.

President Donald Trump's administration has expressed national security concerns over the app, claiming it could be used for Chinese espionage and threatening to ban it.

The ban has been challenged in courts, including a case here and a separate filing by the app's "creators" in a Pennsylvania court, which blocked the ban on October 30, though the government is appealing that order.

Trump, who lost his bid for re-election this month, has claimed that TikTok – which has some 100 million US users – can be used to collect data on Americans for Chinese espionage, a claim denied by the company.

The White House has said TikTok must become a US firm controlled by American investors to avert a ban. 

But any plan would likely need approval from Beijing, which has balked at giving up control of its social media star.

China's commerce ministry published new rules in August that added "civilian use" to a list of the types of technology that are restricted for export, which could make it more difficult for ByteDance to sell TikTok, which features clips of everything from dance routines to politics.

A deal appeared to take shape earlier this year which would allow Silicon Valley giant Oracle to be the data partner for a newly incorporated TikTok Global, with Walmart joining as a commercial partner.

While Trump signaled his approval for the plan, it has not been finalised and the prospects remain unclear.

The developments come amid heightened tensions between Washington and Beijing over trade and national security, with the US administration having also banned Chinese tech giant Huawei from obtaining US technology and from deals involving wireless networks. – AFP, November 26, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Prawn dispute a rising threat to Thai-Malaysia relations

Community / 4mth

Penang defends move to ban use of single-use plastics by September

Our Planet / 4mth

Ban on single-use plastic bags to take effect in Penang from Sept 1

Malaysia / 6mth

Ban on foreigners buying subsidised cooking oil effective from March 1

Education / 8mth

Ban on bringing, using personal devices in schools still in place

Culture / 8mth

Penang supports ban on e-cigarettes, vaping

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit