PENANG plans to explore new locations for angling after a ban was imposed on popular spots along the two Penang Bridges.
State executive councillor Datuk Rashidi Zinol, who oversees the agriculture portfolio, said he understands that angling is a growing recreational activity among many hobbyists in the state.
But there is a concern over the safety and security of anglers, especially in spots such as beneath the two bridges, said Rashidi.
The Sungai Acheh assemblyman told journalists here that discussions will be held next week to seek the best solution for the proposed ban at popular spots around the bridges.
He said the matter would be examined after taking into account safety, regulations, and the livelihoods of the affected community.
“The issue was raised by operators of tourist boats and fishing boats at a meeting with me. They voiced several concerns following the enforcement of the ban.”
The areas around the Penang Bridge and Sultan Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah Bridge, popularly called the Second Bridge, have been gazetted as restricted and prohibited areas.
Last month, the coastguard cleared out spots around the bridges frequented by anglers.
Rashidi said the operators claimed that the ban had resulted in lower demand for fishing and tourist boat services.
Other aspects were also affected, like those selling fishing equipment and ice.
He said he would discuss the matter to seek a balanced approach that safeguards safety and regulatory compliance while taking into account the livelihoods of boat operators and related businesses. - August 22, 2026.