Business

Dyson launches £2.75 bil plan to double product range

Firm best known for vacuum cleaners targeting batteries, robotics and next-gen motor tech, among others

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 27 Nov 2020 8:30PM

Dyson launches £2.75 bil plan to double product range

LONDON – British electric appliance pioneer Dyson, famed for its bagless vacuum cleaners, announced today that it will invest £2.75 billion (RM14.92 billion) to double its product range by 2025.

Dyson said in a statement that it will plough the cash into operations in Britain, the Philippines and Singapore under ambitious plans to also start producing goods designed for outside the home.

The news comes after Dyson abandoned plans last year to produce electric cars after concluding that the project was commercially unviable.

The company said today that its new investment plans would target batteries, robotics, next-generation motor technology, intelligent products, machine learning and connectivity.

“We continue the expansion of our operations in Singapore, UK and Southeast Asia, as a vital step of our future development,” CEO Roland Krueger said.

“Now is the time to invest in new technologies such as energy storage, robotics and software which will drive performance and sustainability in our products for the benefit of Dyson's customers.

“We will expand our existing product categories, as well as enter entirely new fields for Dyson over the next five years. This will start a new chapter in Dyson's development.”

In reference to battery technology, the group added that it was also seeking to produce “safer, cleaner, longer-lasting and more efficient energy storage” than the batteries currently in use.

The company was founded by entrepreneur James Dyson, who in May headed The Sunday Times ranking of richest Britons with a fortune of £16.2 billion.

The group switched headquarters to Singapore last year in a move that prompted fury in Britain that the billionaire tycoon – a vocal Brexit backer – was not investing more in British manufacturing.

Dyson has not been immune to the fallout from the global coronavirus crisis.

The firm revealed in July that it was cutting 15% of its UK workforce and eliminating 900 jobs globally because of the Covid-19 outbreak, as lockdowns changed consumer behaviour. – AFP, November 27, 2020

Related News

Business / 3y

Dyson plans new battery plant in Singapore

Business / 3y

ATA IMS flags potential goodwill impairment after Dyson terminates contracts

Tech / 3y

These headphones purify the sound you hear and the air you breathe

Tech / 4y

This robot can do the dishes (without breaking anything)

Business / 4y

ATA IMS denies forced labour allegations, will undergo external audits soon

Malaysia / 4y

Govt acts against ex-Dyson supplier ATA over labour law violations

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets