Business

Fishing rights top of the menu as Brexit talks resume

British foreign minister describes issue as ‘outstanding major bone of contention’

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 29 Nov 2020 8:37PM

Fishing rights top of the menu as Brexit talks resume
London is asking that European access to UK waters be cut by 80%, while the EU is willing to accept 15% to 18%. – Pixabay pic, November 29, 2020

LONDON – Last-ditch Brexit trade talks continued here today, with fishing rights remaining an “outstanding major bone of contention”, said British Foreign Minister Dominic Raab.

European Union chief negotiator Michel Barnier told reporters that “work continues, even on a Sunday”, as he arrived for the second day of talks.

Barnier arrived here on Friday following a spell in self-isolation after a member of his team contracted the coronavirus and ahead of the resumption of talks with British counterpart David Frost yesterday.

Both men warned that a deal will not be reached without major concessions from the other party.

There are only five weeks to go until the end of the current transition period, during which trade relations have remained largely unchanged.

The two key sticking points remain post-Brexit access to British fishing waters for European vessels and the EU’s demand for trade penalties if either side diverges from common standards or state aid regulations.

Raab told Sky’s Sophy Ridge On Sunday that this could be the final week of “substantive” talks, with time running out to agree on and ratify a deal.

“There’s a deal to be done.

“On fishing, there’s a point of principle: as we leave the EU, we’re going to be an independent... coastal state, and we’ve got to be able to control our waters.”

Barnier told envoys last week that London is asking that European access to UK waters be cut by 80%, while the EU is willing to accept 15% to 18%, according to a Brussels source.

A British official called the demands “risible”, reported the domestic Press Association, adding that the “EU side know full well that we would never accept this”.

“There seems to be a failure from the commission to internalise the scale of change needed as we become an independent nation,” said the source.

However, Raab is cautiously optimistic about the “level playing field” issue, saying “it feels like there is progress towards greater respect” for Britain’s position.

A failure to reach an agreement would see Britain and the EU trading on World Trade Organisation terms, with tariffs immediately imposed on goods travelling to and from the continent.

As it stands, Britain will leave Europe’s trade and customs area on December 31, with no prospect of an extension.

A no-deal scenario is widely expected to cause economic chaos, with customs checks required at borders.

Concern is particularly acute on the border between EU member Ireland and the British province of Northern Ireland, where the sudden imposition of a hard border threatens the delicate peace secured by 1999’s Good Friday Agreement.

The talks have already dragged on much longer than expected, and time is running out for the ratification of any deal by the European Parliament by the end of the year. – AFP, November 29, 2020

Related News

Business / 2y

WTO rules against EU’s delegated act, deems it discriminatory towards M’sian palm oil biofuels

World / 3y

EU may fine TikTok millions for violating children’s privacy

Business / 3y

Palm oil exports to EU-27 to surpass 1.5 mil tonnes: MPOC

Business / 3y

First joint task force meeting on EUDR to take place in Aug

Malaysia / 3y

EU, M’sia continue talks on ad-hoc task force for EUDR

Business / 3y

EU policies should be restrictive enough to control inflation: IMF

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST