Malaysia

Johor palace advised Onn Hafiz to make peace with Zahid after PRU15 backlash

The Johor Menteri Besar reveals that personal advice from the Johor royal institution led him to apologise directly to UMNO president Ahmad Zahid Hamidi after publicly urging him to resign

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 26 May 2026 8:30AM

Johor palace advised Onn Hafiz to make peace with Zahid after PRU15 backlash
Onn Hafiz had called on for Zahid to step down following Barisan Nasional’s poor showing in the 15th General Election - May 26, 2026

JOHOR Menteri Besar Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi has disclosed that advice from the Johor royal institution prompted him to personally apologise to UMNO president Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi after he openly called for Zahid to step down following Barisan Nasional’s poor showing in the 15th General Election.

Speaking on the 200th episode of the Keluar Sekejap political podcast, Onn Hafiz said both the Sultan of Johor, His Majesty Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar, and the Regent of Johor, Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim, had privately advised him that his remarks had gone too far and that reconciliation was the best course forward.

“They told me it was good to apologise and go and meet my president. We have a state to govern,” he said.

The admission sheds new light on the aftermath of Barisan Nasional’s historic collapse in the 15th Malaysian General Election, when the coalition secured only 30 parliamentary seats, and pressure mounted within UMNO for Zahid to emulate former prime minister Najib Razak by relinquishing his leadership role after electoral defeat.

Onn Hafiz said he later met Zahid personally and apologised without placing any conditions on the meeting.

“I apologised if my statement had offended him. Alhamdulillah, I believe he has forgiven me.

“As far as party relations and administrative matters are concerned, the issue is now considered settled,” he said.

The revelation emerged after podcast co-host Shahril Hamdan pointed out that Onn Hafiz had been the first UMNO leader to publicly demand Zahid’s resignation after PRU15, yet escaped disciplinary action, while Shahril himself was suspended over similar remarks.

“You were the first to say it. I was only the second, but I was the one suspended,” Shahril remarked during the programme.

Onn Hafiz did not avoid the comparison, instead attributing his subsequent approach to guidance from the Johor palace.

“At that time, I received advice from the Johor palace. And I also prayed a great deal,” he said, drawing laughter from the hosts. - May 26, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

Malaysia

Modified Toyota Camry lands woman in hot water over alleged subsidised petrol diversion

Malaysia

Govt targets 30% cut in imported seed dependence by 2040

Malaysia

Malaysia warns global firms over Israeli E1 settlement tender threatening Palestinian statehood

Malaysia

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale

Malaysia

Sarawak haze crisis deepens as Serian air pollution hits very unhealthy level

Malaysia

PH, BN weigh Melaka election pact as Amirudin moves to open talks with Anwar

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight