Malaysia

Army Chief orders full safety review after grenade training blast kills two soldiers

The Malaysian Army launches an immediate investigation into a fatal live-grenade training accident at Hobart Camp in Kedah after two soldiers were killed during a combat readiness exercise

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 16 Jun 2026 5:33PM

Army Chief orders full safety review after grenade training blast kills two soldiers
The Army says both personnel sustained severe injuries when the explosion occurred during the live-fire training session prompting a comprehensive review of military safety procedures - June 16, 2026

THE Malaysian Army has ordered a full-scale investigation into a fatal training accident that claimed the lives of two soldiers during a live-grenade exercise at Hobart Camp near Gurun in Kedah, raising fresh concerns over safety procedures in military combat drills.

Army Chief General Tan Sri Azhan Md Othman said an executive inquiry had been initiated following the explosion during Grenade Throwing Training as part of the Royal Engineer Regiment (RAJD) Combat Enhancement Exercise conducted by the Second Malaysian Infantry Division at 10.57am on Tuesday.

The soldiers who died were identified as Corporal Norazmi Abu Bakar of the Sixth Battalion, Royal Malay Regiment, and Private Siti Khadijah Sungip of the First Squadron, Royal Engineer Regiment.

According to the Malaysian Army, both personnel sustained severe injuries when the explosion occurred during the live-fire training session.

They were rushed for emergency medical treatment at Sultan Abdul Halim Hospital in Sungai Petani but were pronounced dead while being transported to the facility.

The incident occurred during a combat readiness exercise designed to strengthen operational capabilities and tactical proficiency among engineering units under the Second Infantry Division.

Military authorities immediately activated emergency response procedures following the blast, while police and military investigators were notified and commenced inquiries into the circumstances surrounding the explosion.

The remains of the two soldiers will be taken to Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital in Alor Setar for post-mortem examinations as part of the investigation process.

Expressing deep sorrow over the tragedy, General Tan Sri Azhan Md Othman extended his condolences to the families of the deceased and urged them to remain strong in facing the loss of their loved ones.

The Army Chief also directed that all aspects of the incident be thoroughly examined, including operational safety measures governing live-fire exercises, to determine the cause of the explosion and identify any improvements required to prevent a recurrence.

The Malaysian Army said it remains committed to ensuring the highest standards of safety during training operations and pledged that any necessary enhancements arising from the investigation would be implemented without delay. - June 16, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Modified Toyota Camry lands woman in hot water over alleged subsidised petrol diversion

Malaysia

Penang is first state to enforce private homestay law

Malaysia

Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam raid cleared and repatriated

Malaysia

Teacher, six-year-old child killed as MPV skids, lands in ravine

Malaysia

PN has no right to prevent BN from negotiating with any party

Malaysia

PH, BN weigh Melaka election pact as Amirudin moves to open talks with Anwar

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale