Malaysia

Bersatu fails to challenge MACC's freeze on two bank accounts

Judge Datuk Aliza Sulaiman, who is now a Court of Appeal judge, made the ruling after dismissing a judicial review application filed by Bersatu to challenge the MACC decision.

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 18 Jun 2026 4:30PM

Bersatu fails to challenge MACC's freeze on two bank accounts
On April 20, 2023, MACC reportedly seized Bersatu's accounts that had previously been frozen. - June 18, 2026

THE High Court today said Bersatu and its President, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, failed to prove the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission’s (MACC) decision to freeze and seize two bank accounts three years ago was tainted by illegality, irrationality or bad faith.

Judge Datuk Aliza Sulaiman, who is now a Court of Appeal judge, made the ruling after dismissing a judicial review application filed by Bersatu to challenge the MACC decision.

On April 20, 2023, MACC reportedly seized Bersatu's accounts that had previously been frozen.

MACC said the accounts involved were frozen on January 12 and 13, 2023, in accordance with Section 44 of the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act (AMLATFPUAA) 2001 to assist investigations.

On October 30 of the same year, Bersatu obtained leave to challenge the MACC's decision to freeze two of the party's bank accounts.

The application was filed by Captain (Rtd) Datuk Muhammad Suhaimi Yahya and Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin as the first and second applicants, respectively, on May 29, 2023.

They named the then MACC Chief Commissioner, Tan Sri Azam Baki, as the first respondent, while 19 other individuals were named as the second to 20th respondents.

Bersatu claimed that on April 19 of the same year, its CIMB and AmBank bank accounts were seized without any seizure order being issued under Section 50(1) of the Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act (AMLATFPUAA) 2001.

The party also claimed that the MACC stated on April 20, 2023, that both accounts were seized on April 11 of the same year, but Bersatu was never informed of the seizure on that date. – June 18, 2026

Related News

Malaysia / 6h

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia / 1d

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale

Malaysia / 3d

MACC probe into Dr Xavier Jayakumar closed in 2024 over lack of evidence

Malaysia / 3d

Maritime expert urges MACC to break silence on petroleum cargo commingling issue

Malaysia / 1w

RCI TH: MACC detains 7, including those with 'Datuk' and 'Datuk Seri' titles

Malaysia / 1w

MACC, Customs task force must become catalyst for smarter border and better container governance

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Malaysia

Malaysia-Brunei to discuss regional haze, border security at Annual Leaders’ Consultation

Malaysia

PN has no right to prevent BN from negotiating with any party

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

Penang is first state to enforce private homestay law

Malaysia

PM Anwar receives royal honour from Brunei Sultan

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre