Malaysia

Weapons suffer technical issues, two soldiers injured during heavy weapons training at Hobart Camp

The victims were a 29-year-old corporal who was taking part in the training and a 35-year-old sergeant who was acting as a trainer.

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 30 Jun 2026 3:54PM

Weapons suffer technical issues, two soldiers injured during heavy weapons training at Hobart Camp
The incident occurred after the weapon used experienced a technical malfunction during the training. - June 30, 2026

by Ian McIntyre

TWO soldiers from Bukit Cowder Camp, Perlis, were injured while undergoing heavy weapons training at the Hobart Camp Shooting Range, at about 6.05 pm yesterday.

The victims were a 29-year-old corporal who was taking part in the training and a 35-year-old sergeant who was acting as a trainer.

Kedah Police Chief Datuk Adzli Abu Shah said the trainer suffered an injury to his right thigh and received eight stitches, but was allowed to go home after receiving treatment at the Sik Hospital.

He said the trainee suffered an injury to his left knee and was still receiving treatment at the Sultan Abdul Halim Hospital, Sungai Petani, as he is suspected of suffering nerve damage following heavy bleeding.

According to him, the incident occurred after the weapon used experienced a technical malfunction during the training.

"The weapon was then emptied and placed on the ground according to standard operating procedures (SOP) for examination. However, suddenly, there was an explosion that injured both personnel involved.

"The initial doctor's report confirmed that both victims did not suffer injuries from being hit by bullets," he said at a press conference at the Jeniang Police Station, today, after visiting the scene of the incident with the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) forensic team and Malaysian Armed Forces (ATM) weapons experts.

Adzli said initial investigations found that the injuries suffered by both victims were believed to have been caused by fragments that bounced off during the explosion, but the actual cause is still awaiting the results of forensic examinations and ATM weapons experts.

He said the training took place under the administration of the 6th Brigade Headquarters from June 28 to July 2, involving about 300 personnel from the Bukit Cowder Camp and included light and heavy weapons training.

He said police had opened an investigation under Section 37 of the Arms Act 1960, and so far, five to six witnesses have been identified to assist the investigation.

Meanwhile, commenting on the grenade explosion incident that killed two soldiers at Hobart Camp on June 16, he said the police investigation into the case had been completed, while further investigation was now being continued by the ATM.

“The police investigation classified the case as sudden death,” he said. – June 30, 2026

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Female student arrested for allegedly hurting classmate with kerambit at school

Malaysia / 1w

Trio escape with minor injuries after tree crashes on their car

Malaysia / 2w

SUV crashes into KKIA departure hall entrance, female driver injured

Malaysia / 2w

Penang orders owners, operators of heritage shophouses to conduct regular inspections

Malaysia / 2w

Penang: Two tourists injured by falling debris along Armenian Street

Opinion / 1mth

Has the sleeping giant been awakened with a terrible resolve?

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Online scam content removed surges 15-fold to nearly 100,000 in Malaysia

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

PN has no right to prevent BN from negotiating with any party

Malaysia

Govt agency chairman, four others remanded 4 days over alleged RM1.96m Penang land loss

Malaysia

Abdul Hadi escalates PAS-DAP row, says four Malay DAP leaders ‘have not studied’

Malaysia

Sarawak haze shuts 591 schools across 10 districts

Malaysia

Anwar: Malaysia’s One China policy has not changed since 1974

Malaysia

Warning lights are not a 'license' to ignore traffic laws – Bukit Aman