Malaysia

KL World Cup betting call centre in unlicensed entertainment premises busted

Cops arrests 34 people, including 33 foreign nationals, in an early morning operation

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 06 Jul 2026 2:11PM

KL World Cup betting call centre in unlicensed entertainment premises busted
Police dismantle an alleged illegal betting operation linked to the 2026 FIFA World Cup after raiding an unlicensed entertainment premises in Sentul - July 6, 2026

POLICE have uncovered an alleged online betting operation centred on the 2026 FIFA World Cup following a raid on an unlicensed entertainment premises in Taman Wahyu, Sentul, which authorities believe was being used as a betting call centre.

The operation, carried out at about 3.30am on Sunday by the Anti-Vice, Gambling and Secret Societies Division of the Criminal Investigation Department at the Sentul District Police Headquarters, resulted in the arrest of 34 individuals.

Kuala Lumpur Police Chief Datuk Fadil Marsus said those detained comprised 28 Chinese nationals, three Myanmar nationals, one South Korean national, one Thai national and one Malaysian woman, all aged between 20 and 40.

Preliminary investigations indicate that the premises was being used to manage, organise and promote online gambling activities involving football betting related to the 2026 FIFA World Cup while simultaneously operating as an unlicensed entertainment outlet.

"Initial investigations found that the premises was being used to manage, organise and promote online gambling involving betting on the 2026 FIFA World Cup, while also operating as an unlicensed entertainment centre."

He said investigators believe the operation had been active since the middle of June and operated daily between 5pm and 3am.

During the raid, police seized 15 mobile phones of various brands, two laptop computers, RM60 in cash and a range of musical equipment believed to have been used at the premises.

Fadil said the case is being investigated under Section 4(1)(c) and Section 6(3) of the Betting Act 1953, Section 4(1) of the Federal Territories Entertainment Act 1992, and Section 6(1) of the Immigration Act 1959/63.

Investigations are continuing to determine the full extent of the operation and identify any additional individuals involved. - July 6, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Two local firms get access to Arm technology in push for homegrown chip design

Malaysia

Malaysia escalates haze concerns to Indonesia as Sarawak air quality worsens

Malaysia

Malaysia-Brunei to discuss regional haze, border security at Annual Leaders’ Consultation

Malaysia

White House accuses Malaysia, Indonesia of helping China evade US tariffs

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

PN has no right to prevent BN from negotiating with any party

Malaysia

Jana Wibawa witness: Muhyiddin never asked for RM1m Bersatu donation

Malaysia

Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses