MOTORCYCLISTS and pillion riders accounted for nearly two-thirds of Malaysia’s 6,537 road deaths last year despite motorcycles making up only around 14 per cent of vehicles involved in crashes, highlighting the disproportionate risk faced by two-wheeled road users.
Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the figures showed that conventional approaches to road safety were no longer sufficient, with more targeted interventions needed for high-risk groups alongside measures covering infrastructure, enforcement, education, health and urban planning.
“Although motorcycles account for only around 14 per cent of vehicles involved in crashes, motorcyclists and pillion riders account for about 66 per cent of all road deaths, meaning almost two out of every three road deaths involve motorcyclists or pillion riders.
“For me, these figures show that we can no longer rely on business-as-usual approaches. Interventions need to be more targeted at high-risk groups, while also addressing other factors such as infrastructure safety, health, education, enforcement and urban planning in a more comprehensive manner,” he said in a statement today.
Zahid said the Government had set a target of reducing road crash fatalities by 50 per cent by 2030, underscoring the need for a more coordinated national road safety strategy.
He said the socioeconomic losses arising from road deaths in 2025 were estimated at around RM30 billion based on the Value of Statistical Life (VOSL) approach.
“Investment in road safety is not merely an expenditure, but is important to save lives, protect families and reduce losses to the national economy,” he said.
Zahid, who chairs the Cabinet Committee on Road Safety and Congestion (JK-MKKJR), said the committee had also taken note of the significantly higher fatality rate involving workers travelling to and from work.
Based on Social Security Organisation (SOCSO) data, the fatality rate from commuting accidents in 2025 was 2.4 times higher than that recorded for industrial accidents.
In response, the Government will strengthen the Ops Cegah approach through collaboration between SOCSO, the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM), the Road Transport Department (JPJ) and employers.
The initiative will use data to identify organisations and areas deemed to be at high risk, allowing preventive measures to be directed towards locations and groups most vulnerable to road crashes.
The committee also agreed to implement the Road Safety Framework Programme (SAFERO) in phases to improve the safety of heavy vehicles through cooperation involving the Transport Ministry, Petronas, the Land Public Transport Agency (APAD), JPJ and the Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (MIROS).
Zahid said industry expertise in defensive driving, fatigue management and monitoring driver behaviour would be harnessed to improve the competence and professionalism of heavy-vehicle drivers.
The meeting also examined traffic dispersal plans ahead of the operation of the Johor Bahru-Singapore Rapid Transit System (RTS) Link, with agencies to coordinate closely and integrate the project with existing public transport systems to prevent new congestion hotspots from emerging.
He said the approach was in line with the Government’s aspiration for a more integrated, efficient, safe and people-friendly public transport system, particularly in supporting smoother cross-border mobility. - August 17, 2026