Malaysia

‘Muhyiddin's power grab will cost Sabah and Sarawak’

Worrying that heads of state have no say in a declaration of emergency, say civil society leader and Penampang MP

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 24 Oct 2020 5:54PM

‘Muhyiddin's power grab will cost Sabah and Sarawak’
The Federal Government took ownership of Sabah and Sarawak Territorial Waters using the emergency declared on May 15, 1969. – The Vibes filepic, October 24, 2020

KOTA KINABALU – Sabah and Sarawak should be concerned over the federal government's plan to declare an emergency as doing so could adversely affect the Borneo states' sovereignty.

Former CEO of Institute for Development Studies Datuk Johan Ariffin said the Sabahan civil society had pointed out that the last time emergency powers were declared in 1969, Sabah and Sarawak lost their exclusive rights and control of their territorial waters, from 200km of shorelines to just 3km.

“Sabahans are concerned whether our head of state has a say on this matter as the reports say that the rulers will convene a meeting.

“Sabah had nothing to do with the May 13, 1969, incident and we were punished. (Prime Minister Tan Sri) Muhyiddin Yassin's cabinet is trying to do the same again.

“Sabah and Sarawak are not involved in the political grab of power or what is going on in Kuala Lumpur, but will be severely affected by the outcome,” said the former Sabah Foundation deputy CEO.

Johan said Sabah is already fighting a huge spike in Covid-19 and cannot afford another draconian law imposed on its population.

“Tourism which is a huge industry in Sabah is almost dead and any more restrictions will kill whatever business and industries that Sabah has nurtured all these years to create jobs and a strong economy.

“With lower GDP, high rate of poverty, pandemic and now the proposed emergency orders, Sabah is not going anywhere with the newly elected state government,” Johan said

He added that Sabahans are calling out for common sense to prevail over a few individuals’ 'self-preservation, just to be in power.

"Sabahans are also calling out for their Sabahan members in the federal cabinet to resist the prime minister's move or resign from the cabinet to save Sabah from further economic disaster and control by Kuala Lumpur,” he added.

The Federal Government took ownership of Sabah and Sarawak Territorial Waters using the emergency declared on May 15, 1969.

The Emergency was declared using Article 150 of the Federal Constitution, where Parliament was suspended and only reconvened on February 20, 1971.

Between 1969 and 1971 several Ordinances and gazettes were issued, where three of these laws transferred the ownership of Sabah and Sarawak territorial waters to the federal government without consent, as equal partners under the formation of Malaysia in 1963.

The three enactments that sealed Sabah and Sarawak's fate were the Emergency (Essential Powers) Ordinance No.7 1969; the Continental Shelf Act 1966; and the Petroleum Mining Act 1966.

Meanwhile, Warisan’s Penampang MP Darell Leiking echoed Johan’s sentiments, saying that the state’s territorial rights must be safeguarded at all cost to prevent another round of exploitation if emergency is declared.

“We have learned through Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63) activist Zainnal Ajamain that the federal government took control of Sabah’s continental shelf beyond three nautical miles in 1969,” he said.

Leiking said the same attempt was done via the Territorial Sea Waters Act 2012.

The former Minister of International Trade and Industry (Miti) said the territorial rights debate had been resolved at the federal-state committee on MA63 during the administration of the Pakatan Harapan (PH) federal government.

However, the resolution was not implemented by the current Perikatan Nasional (PN) government.

Leiking said Sabahans must remain vigilant to prevent further exploitation of Sabah’s natural resources although there has not been any official declaration of emergency law.

“Sabah's rich resources such as lands and minerals will surely be tempting enough for some to exploit. Only a united Sabah can prevent this from happening again,” he said. – The Vibes, October 24, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3mth

Malaysian doctor couple saves passenger from allergic shock mid-flight

Malaysia / 5mth

MA63 rights belong to all Sabahans, not political slogan, says Mustapha

Malaysia / 5mth

9 out of 13 MA63 issues resolved, Borneanisation agenda continues to be strengthened

Malaysia / 6mth

40 per cent revenue claim under MA63 remains key priority for Sabah PH

Opinion / 6mth

Significant milestones achieved in MA63 implementation last year

Malaysia / 7mth

Understand MA63 clearly, avoid misunderstandings about Sabah, Sarawak - Abang Jo

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Malaysia escalates haze concerns to Indonesia as Sarawak air quality worsens

Malaysia

Immigration “Black Maria” lorry driver suspended after crash kills father, 2 daughters in KL

Malaysia

Prolonged Strait of Hormuz disruption will be felt, but less severe - Johari

Malaysia

Man arrested after viral video shows kitten being beaten with aluminium broom

Malaysia

Immigration's 'Black Maria' driver charged with causing death of three family members

Malaysia

Elderly man, son and granddaughter burnt to death in Sabah house fire

Malaysia

MP to raise commingled oil cargo tax uncertainty in Parliament

Malaysia

Govt agency chairman, four others remanded 4 days over alleged RM1.96m Penang land loss