Malaysia

Court fixes December 8 to hear Najib's application to intervene in Azilah's review

The hearing of the two applications was initially fixed on October 21 but was vacated following the imposition of conditional movement control order (CMCO) in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 30 Oct 2020 8:52PM

Court fixes December 8 to hear Najib's application to intervene in Azilah's review
Special Action Unit (UTK) officer Azilah Hadri is seeking to set aside his conviction and death sentence imposed by the Federal Court on January 13, 2015, and order for a retrial. – The Vibes filepic, October 30, 2020

PUTRAJAYA – The Federal Court has fixed December 8 to hear Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak's application to intervene in former police Special Action Unit (UTK) officer Azilah Hadri's review bid to set aside his conviction and death sentence for the murder of Mongolian national Altantuya Shaariibuu.

Lawyer Sarah Abishegam representing the former prime minister, when contacted, said Federal Court deputy registrar Suhaila Haron also set the same day to hear Azilah's review application.

The hearing of the two applications was initially fixed on October 21 but was vacated following the imposition of conditional movement control order (CMCO) in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya which has been extended until November 9.

Deputy public prosecutor Muhammad Azmi Mashud appeared for the prosecution while lawyer J. Kuldeep Kumar appeared for Azilah.

Azilah filed his review application on December 5, last year together with his 32-page statutory declaration in which he claimed that the order to kill Altantuya had come from Najib who was deputy prime minister then.

Azilah, 43, is seeking to set aside his conviction and death sentence imposed by the Federal Court on January 13, 2015, and order for a retrial.

In December last year, lawyer Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah told the media that his client, Najib, had totally denied everything alleged by Azilah.

Azilah and Sirul Azhar Umar, 47, were convicted and sentenced to death by the Shah Alam High Court in 2009 for Altantuya's murder at Mukim Bukit Raja in Shah Alam between 10pm on October 19 and 1am the following day in 2006.

They were, however, discharged and acquitted by the Court of Appeal in 2013 which allowed their appeal to set aside their conviction and death sentence.

In 2015, the Federal Court overturned the acquittal of the two police UTK officers and restored the High Court decision to find them guilty for the offence. – Bernama, October 30, 2020

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Defence readiness lifts as regional military activity, new threats intensify

Malaysia

Malaysia escalates haze concerns to Indonesia as Sarawak air quality worsens

Malaysia

Two local firms get access to Arm technology in push for homegrown chip design

Malaysia

Elderly man, son and granddaughter burnt to death in Sabah house fire

Malaysia

Dr Mahathir slams Netanyahu over opposition to Palestinian state

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

BN puts ‘benefit versus harm’ at heart of Melaka election alliance talks

Malaysia

White House accuses Malaysia, Indonesia of helping China evade US tariffs