Malaysia

Federal Court dismisses NFCorp exec’s appeal in Rafizi defamation suit

Chief justice says no malice, sufficient factual basis in PKR veep’s statement

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 21 Apr 2022 2:02PM

Federal Court dismisses NFCorp exec’s appeal in Rafizi defamation suit
Chief judge of Malaya Tan Sri Azahar Mohamed says that Rafizi Ramli had an honest belief that his allegations were true, and that he was performing a public duty in agitating for greater accountability for public funds. – Wikipedia pic, April 21, 2022

PUTRAJAYA – Former Pandan member of Parliament Rafizi Ramli is not liable for defaming National Feedlot Corporation Sdn Bhd (NFCorp) executive chairman Datuk Seri Mohamad Salleh Ismail and his company over his statements relating to alleged misuse of government funds, the Federal Court ruled today.

Following which, a three-man panel led by chief judge of Malaya Tan Sri Azahar Mohamed  dismissed the appeals brought by Salleh and his company and ordered him to pay costs of RM70,000 to Rafizi.

In the court’s decision, Azahar said the statement made by Rafizi was without malice and that Rafizi could resort to the defence of fair comment to defeat the defamation suit filed against him.

Azahar said the high court had made a finding that Rafizi was not motivated by malice when making the alleged defamatory statements.

The chief judge also said that there was a sufficient basis in fact to warrant Rafizi’s statements.

He said it was also the finding of the high court that Rafizi had an honest belief that his allegations were true and that he was performing a public duty in agitating for greater accountability for public funds.

“In my view, the respondent’s (Rafizi) conclusion that public funds had been misused as a leverage for the Public Bank’s loan was an opinion and inferences that a fair-minded person would have honestly made.

“Therefore, Rafizi could not be liable for damages for defamation,” said Azahar.

Federal Court judges Puan Sri Zaleha Yusof and Datuk Zabariah Mohd Yusof concurred with Azahar’s decision.

Salleh and NFCorp filed a lawsuit against Rafizi in 2013 over his statements made on March 7, 2012 at a media conference at the PKR offices, alleging that Salleh and his company had used a RM71 million government loan as collateral to purchase eight office units in KL Eco City.

Salleh and NFCorp initially won the suit in the high court in 2016 where the court ordered Rafizi to pay RM150,000 in damages to Salleh and RM50,000 to the company for defamation.

However, in 2019, the Court of Appeal ruled in favour of Rafizi after setting aside the high court’s order that he pay RM200,000 in damages to Salleh and his company.

In 2020, the Federal Court granted leave to Salleh and NFCorp to pursue their appeal in the country’s top court after Rafizi’s lawyers did not object to the leave application as several grounds of the appellate court’s decision relied on issues that were not raised in their case.

Lawyer Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah represented Salleh and NFCorp, while Rafizi was represented by lawyers Razlan Hadri Zulkifli and Ranjit Singh. – Bernama, April 21, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

Syed Saddiq walks free: Federal Court upholds acquittal

Malaysia / 3mth

Court of Appeal: Emergency proclamations beyond judicial review

Malaysia / 4mth

Court of Appeal grants stay on order over Sabah's 40 per cent revenue entitlement

Malaysia / 5mth

Apex court grants PETRONAS leave to challenge Sarawak state laws

Malaysia / 5mth

Isa Samad wants Federal Court to reconsider its decision to convict him

Malaysia / 5mth

Family takes issue of government responsibility in Altantuya's death to Federal Court

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Malaysia

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Immigration's 'Black Maria' driver charged with causing death of three family members

Malaysia

Elderly man, son and granddaughter burnt to death in Sabah house fire

Malaysia

Rockys death: No gatherings as Shah, Roghini arrive at Klang court

Malaysia

Warning lights are not a 'license' to ignore traffic laws – Bukit Aman

Malaysia

Fahmi to summon telco CEOs over SIM cards allegedly used by scam syndicates

Malaysia

Malaysia warns global firms over Israeli E1 settlement tender threatening Palestinian statehood