Malaysia

RM15 mil for initial work on Pangkor jetty upgrades: Mustapa

RM7 mil for next year under 12th Malaysia Plan allocation, says minister

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 23 Nov 2020 3:26PM

RM15 mil for initial work on Pangkor jetty upgrades: Mustapa
Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed says the Finance Ministry is looking into shortening the 48-hour requirement before tourists can enjoy duty-free shopping on Pulau Pangkor, Labuan, Pulau Tioman, and Langkawi. – Bernama pic, November 23, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – A total of RM15 million has been allocated under the 12th Malaysia Plan to carry out preliminary works for the upgrading of the main and cargo jetties in Pulau Pangkor, the Dewan Rakyat was told today.

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Economy) Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed said of the total amount, RM7 million was allocated for next year.

He said this in reply to a question from Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu (Bersatu-Tambun) who wanted to know the status of the application to upgrade the passenger jetty on the duty-free island.

Pulau Pangkor was gazetted as a duty-free island on January 1 this year.

To another question from the Perak menteri besar on the status of the application to shorten the 48-hour requirement before tourists can enjoy duty-free shopping on the island, Mustapa said the matter was being studied by the Finance Ministry.

“The Finance Ministry previously wrote a letter to the Perak government stating that if the application is approved, the same treatment should be given to three other islands, namely Labuan, Tioman, and Langkawi,” he said.

On the application to make the Sg Pinang Kecil jetty on the island a legal landing place, Mustapa said it was not approved by the Customs Department.

“We understand and are aware of the congestion issue at the current jetty (main jetty). There is a need to review this plan.

“We will discuss with the Perak government how we can review the decision made by the Customs Department. We will refer this matter to the Finance Ministry,” he said. – Bernama, November 23, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3y

[UPDATED] GE15: Mustapa Mohamed says will not defend Jeli seat

Malaysia / 3y

Budget 2023: 7,615 development projects will be implemented next year, says Tok Pa

Malaysia / 3y

Anti-poverty scheme aiding 459 Orang Asli households, says Tok Pa

Business / 3y

Local experts can help manage economy, no need for foreigners: Tok Pa

Malaysia / 3y

Phase 2 of hardcore poverty eradication scheme to start mid-Oct: Tok Pa

Malaysia / 3y

Budget 2023 to focus on post-pandemic economic recovery: Mustapa

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam raid cleared and repatriated

Malaysia

Abdul Hadi escalates PAS-DAP row, says four Malay DAP leaders ‘have not studied’

Malaysia

MP to raise commingled oil cargo tax uncertainty in Parliament

Malaysia

MOF received 'higher-ups' instructions on PMO's recommendation process for Jana Wibawa project

Malaysia

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia

Fahmi: Malaysia’s one-China policy on Taiwan remains unchanged

Malaysia

Child safety a priority in facing the increasingly worrying haze threat

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre