Malaysia

GOF men not required to wear bulletproof vest on intelligence rounds: Deputy IGP

They are also given smaller weapons to keep their identities under wraps

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Nov 2020 3:16PM

GOF men not required to wear bulletproof vest on intelligence rounds: Deputy IGP
Members of the force, including Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador (left) at the scene of the shooting at the Malaysia-Thailand border yesterday. – The Vibes pic, November 25, 2020 

IPOH – The late Corporal Baharuddin Ramli and Corporal Norihan Tari, who was badly injured in the shooting incident at the Malaysia-Thailand border early yesterday morning did not wear bulletproof vests because they were conducting intelligence work and were not on patrol.

Deputy Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Acyrl Sani Abdullah Sani said apart from not wearing bulletproof vests, officers or personnel involved in intelligence work are also not supplied with heavy weapons to hide their identities.

“During the incident, both of them were conducting intelligence work and not on patrol duty. According to the standard operating procedures (SOP), all security personnel on patrol duty must wear uniforms and protective equipment.

“But when conducting intelligence work or going undercover, they cannot wear bulletproof vests and carry heavy weapons,” he said after witnessing the handing over of duties for the Perak police chief here today.

He was responding to questions raised by netizens on why the two General Operations Force (GOF) personnel from the Senoi Praaq team did not wear bulletproof vests and were only armed with Walther P99 pistols.

In the 3.10 am incident, Baharuddin, 54, was shot dead while Norihan, 39, was seriously injured. He subsequently received treatment at Tuanku Fauziah Hospital, Kangar.

Acyrl Sani said the Bukit Aman Internal Security and Public Order Department are reviewing the current SOP for patrol duty, intelligence work and prevention operations to ensure the safety of officers, personnel as well as the public.

He added the police have also applied for 36 new armoured personnel carriers (APC) to ensure the safety of personnel conducting patrols at border areas in Kedah, Perlis, Kelantan and the ESSCom.

“The application was submitted last year and we hope for the first stage we can get 10 units of APC,” he said adding that some of the current APC have been in use for more than 40 years. – Bernama, November 25, 2020 

Related News

Film / 1mth

Netflix film with Mark Wahlberg a major boost to Penang’s international profile

Malaysia / 2mth

Shooting aggressive sacrificial cow: Police confirm Perlis MB has shotgun license

Malaysia / 3mth

Duo nabbed over shooting incident in Bangsar, pistol and imitation gun seized

Malaysia / 5mth

Arrest made in connection with Bukit Kayu Hitam shooting, says Saifuddin

Malaysia / 7mth

Cops confirm shooting at Banting restaurant, motive under probe

Malaysia / 7mth

Shooting near fast food restaurant in Banting, man lies unconscious

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

Malaysia

Abdul Hadi escalates PAS-DAP row, says four Malay DAP leaders ‘have not studied’

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

PM Anwar receives royal honour from Brunei Sultan

Malaysia

Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam raid cleared and repatriated

Malaysia

Govt targets 30% cut in imported seed dependence by 2040

Malaysia

Fahmi: Malaysia’s one-China policy on Taiwan remains unchanged

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight