KUALA LUMPUR – A total of 993 individuals were arrested for suspected involvement in Macau Scam activities in the first 10 months of this year, the Dewan Rakyat was told today.
Deputy Home Minister II Jonathan Yasin said the arrests from January 1 to October 31 involved 912 locals and 81 foreigners.
"Some 605 people have been charged (in court)," he said in reply to a question from Datuk Mohamad Alamin (BN-Kimanis).
So far, he said there have been no studies on the age of those involved in the activity, but that the Home Ministry will conduct a study on the matter.
Meanwhile, Jonathan said the police were always working with various parties, including the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC), Bank Negara Malaysia, telecommunications companies and banking institutions to combat online fraud.
Apart from that, he said a cyber crime technical committee comprising police and MCMC members was established in March last year for the same purpose.
He said the police have also set up a special task force to identify and monitor the latest trends in online crime. – Bernama, November 30, 2020