World

Sydney sees fewer coronavirus cases amid record testing

More than 83,000 people in New South Wales tested yesterday and today

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 22 Dec 2020 3:30PM

Sydney sees fewer coronavirus cases amid record testing
New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian says the virus threatens to continue spreading because those infected visited gyms, pubs, and restaurants across Sydney. – AFP pic, December 22, 2020

SYDNEY – Sydney has seen a two-day dip in coronavirus cases after Australian authorities imposed a snap lockdown and residents flocked to testing centres in record numbers, but officials have cautioned the outbreak is still “evolving”.

A Covid-19 cluster on Sydney’s northern beaches has grown to 90 cases since emerging last week, sending the area’s picturesque seaside suburbs into a lockdown.

Despite record testing, eight new coronavirus cases were confirmed today after 15 cases the previous day – raising hopes that the city’s five million residents may yet be able to celebrate Christmas with family and friends.

Long queues have snaked outside testing sites across Sydney, with more than 83,000 people tested yesterday and today in New South Wales, a state of 7.5 million people that includes the sprawling harbourside city.

State Premier Gladys Berejiklian praised the “outstanding” public response but said the virus threatened to continue spreading because those infected visited gyms, pubs, and restaurants across Sydney.

“What remains our concern is that even though the case numbers are relatively low compared with what we’ve experienced in previous days, the number of venues that are impacted grows,” she said.

Berejiklian said the two-day dip in case numbers appeared to show health strategies were paying off but cautioned that the situation was still “evolving” and case numbers could “creep back up”.

An intense contact tracing effort is underway, with chief health officer Kerry Chant saying “many thousands” of people have been ordered to isolate at home for 14 days.

Authorities have promised to review restrictions, including caps on home visitor numbers, on Wednesday, the day before Christmas Eve.

Australia has largely been successful in containing the virus by quickly shutting its borders at the beginning of the pandemic. Only returning citizens, New Zealanders, and people with special exemptions can enter.

However the virus has leaked out of hotel quarantine – where international travellers must spend 14 days before entering the community – on several occasions, including most recently in Sydney.

The city has been virtually sealed off from the rest of the country in efforts to keep other regions virus-free heading into the holidays.

Australia has now recorded about 28,200 Covid-19 cases and 908 deaths in a population of 25 million. – AFP, December 22, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

World / 10mth

Australian authorities block 10 containers of illegal tyre waste export to Malaysia

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation