World

U.S. warns Hamas may breach ceasefire with attack on Palestinian civilians

State Department cites “credible reports” of potential violation of Trump-brokered peace deal as President issues stern warning

Updated 10 months ago · Published on 19 Oct 2025 9:30AM

U.S. warns Hamas may breach ceasefire with attack on Palestinian civilians
The U.S. department warns any such act “would constitute a direct and grave violation” of the truce that brought an end to the two-year conflict between Israel and Hamas - October 19, 2025

THE United States has received “credible reports” that Hamas may carry out an attack on Palestinian civilians in Gaza, in what would amount to a severe breach of the ceasefire agreement brokered by President Donald Trump, the State Department said on Saturday.

AP reported today that, in a statement, the department warned that any such act “would constitute a direct and grave violation” of the truce that brought an end to the two-year conflict between Israel and Hamas.

No further details were provided regarding the nature or timing of the possible attack.

“Should Hamas proceed with this attack, measures will be taken to protect the people of Gaza and preserve the integrity of the ceasefire,” the statement added.

President Trump, whose administration brokered the peace deal, issued a characteristically blunt warning on social media: “If Hamas continues to kill people in Gaza, which was not the Deal, we will have no choice but to go in and kill them.”

However, Trump later clarified to reporters that the United States would not deploy its own forces in the event of further violence.

“It’s not going to be us,” he said. “We won’t have to. There are people very close, very nearby that will go in and they’ll do the trick very easily, but under our auspices.”

The remarks mark a sharp change in tone from the president, who had previously played down the significance of Hamas-linked killings in Gaza, describing the victims as “a couple of gangs that were very bad.”

The White House has not commented further on the intelligence behind the reported threat, but officials say regional partners are on alert and monitoring the situation closely. - October 19, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident