World

UN Security Council backs U.S. plan for Gaza but Hamas rejects disarmament

Washington says vote opens route to stabilisation and political dialogue as Russia and China withhold support

Updated 9 months ago · Published on 18 Nov 2025 8:31AM

UN Security Council backs U.S. plan for Gaza but Hamas rejects disarmament
UN member states may participate in the Trump-led Board of Peace, a transitional authority mandated to supervise Gaza’s recovery - November 18, 2025

THE United Nations Security Council has endorsed a United States-drafted resolution backing President Donald Trump’s plan to end the war in Gaza and authorising the deployment of an international stabilisation force, despite firm rejection from Hamas and abstentions from Russia and China.

Adopted in New York on Monday, the measure lends international legitimacy to a transitional governance structure for Gaza and seeks to reassure states weighing contributions to the proposed force. Israel and Hamas last month accepted the first phase of Trump’s 20-point plan, comprising a ceasefire in their two-year conflict and a hostage-release arrangement, but Washington has argued that UN approval is essential to advance reconstruction and political transition.

Reuters reported on Tuesday that, according to the resolution, UN member states may participate in the Trump-led Board of Peace, a transitional authority mandated to supervise Gaza’s recovery and economic rehabilitation.

It also empowers an international stabilisation force tasked with overseeing the demilitarisation of Gaza, including the decommissioning of weapons and dismantling of military infrastructure.

Hamas, in a statement issued after the vote, reiterated that it would not disarm, insisting that its confrontation with Israel constitutes legitimate resistance.

“The resolution imposes an international guardianship mechanism on the Gaza Strip, which our people and their factions reject,” the group said, signalling a potential clash with the force authorised by the UN.

Mike Waltz, the US ambassador to the UN, told the council that the resolution, which appends Trump’s full 20-point plan, “charts a possible pathway for Palestinian self-determination ... where rockets will give way to olive branches and there is a chance to agree on a political horizon.”

He added: “It dismantles Hamas’ grip, it ensures Gaza rises free from terror’s shadow, prosperous and secure.”

Russia had earlier suggested it might oppose the text but ultimately abstained, permitting its passage. China also abstained.

The Palestinian Authority, which had endorsed the measure last week in a move diplomats say helped avert a Russian veto, welcomed the council’s decision and declared itself ready to participate in its implementation.

The prospect of eventual Palestinian statehood referenced in the resolution has provoked controversy within Israel.

The text states that “conditions may finally be in place for a credible pathway to Palestinian self-determination and statehood” once the Palestinian Authority has enacted its reform programme and Gaza’s reconstruction is underway.

It also commits the United States to establishing a dialogue between Israel and the Palestinians “to agree on a political horizon for peaceful and prosperous coexistence.”

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, under pressure from right-wing members of his governing coalition, responded on Sunday that Israel remained opposed to a Palestinian state and vowed to demilitarise Gaza “the easy way or the hard way.” - November 18, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation