World

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as more bodies recovered in ceasefire lull

Gaza’s health ministry says the confirmed death toll from Israel’s offensive has risen to 70,100, with hundreds of additional victims identified in recent days

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 30 Nov 2025 9:21AM

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as more bodies recovered in ceasefire lull
Recovery teams continue to uncover remains from the rubble, Israel has questioned the figures but has offered no alternative count - November 30, 2025

THE confirmed number of people killed in Israel’s military offensive in the Gaza Strip has surpassed 70,000, according to the enclave’s health ministry, which on Saturday reported a total of 70,100 deaths.

Reuters cite today that the latest increase includes 301 people added to the tally since Thursday, among them two victims of recent Israeli strikes.

The remainder were identified from bodies long buried beneath debris.

Israel did not immediately comment on the updated figures and has previously cast doubt on the accuracy of casualty numbers issued by Gaza’s health authorities, though it has not released its own assessment.

The sheer scale of destruction across Gaza has made the task of verifying casualties extraordinarily difficult. Israel’s bombardment, launched in response to the Hamas-led assault of 7 October 2023 that killed 1,200 people in Israel and resulted in 251 hostages being taken, has levelled neighbourhoods and fractured basic record-keeping.

During the early months of the war, officials in Gaza relied on bodies brought to hospitals, logging names and identity numbers.

As conditions worsened and reporting became erratic, health authorities said they delayed adding thousands of reported deaths until they could complete forensic, medical and legal verification.

Since a fragile ceasefire took effect on 10 October, the death toll has continued to rise, with search teams using the relative calm to comb through the ruins in areas previously inaccessible.

The human toll is evident in the stories of survivors. Moaz Mghari said he lost 62 relatives, including his parents and four siblings, in a series of Israeli airstrikes that brought down two residential buildings near the entrance of Bureij camp in central Gaza.

He recounted that he had been shopping nearby when the explosions sounded. “Then I began to realise what happened, I lost everything, I lost everyone,” he said.

Israel’s military has consistently denied targeting civilians throughout the conflict, now entering its third year.

Public health experts note that pre-war Gaza maintained comparatively strong population records and health information systems, lending credibility to its casualty data.

The United Nations continues to cite figures released by the enclave’s health ministry and has described them as credible.

As recovery efforts continue, officials warn that the final death toll may climb further, with many areas still inaccessible and thousands of people unaccounted for. - November 30, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons