World

Brown University shooting suspect dies from self-inflicted gunshot wound, officials say

Former Brown physics student Claudio Neves Valente dies by suicide after multi state manhunt linked to the deaths of two students and a professor

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 19 Dec 2025 12:54PM

Brown University shooting suspect dies from self-inflicted gunshot wound, officials say
Suspect in Brown University and MIT murders found dead in New Hampshire storage unit - December 19, 2025

LAW enforcement officials have confirmed that the man suspected of carrying out a deadly mass shooting at Brown University and the subsequent murder of a Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor has been found dead.

The Guardian reported on Friday that Claudio Neves Valente, a 48 year old Portuguese national, was discovered on Thursday evening inside a rented storage unit in Salem, New Hampshire, having died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The discovery follows an intensive manhunt across New England that intensified after investigators linked the Saturday afternoon shooting in Providence, Rhode Island, to an attack two days later in the Boston area. Oscar Perez, the Providence police chief, told a news conference that as far as investigators know, the suspect acted alone.

He took his own life tonight, Perez said, as he described the sequence of events that led tactical teams to the storage facility.

Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha informed reporters that the breakthrough in the case came from a member of the public.

After a photograph of the suspect was released to the media, an individual came forward to two Providence police officers over on the east side and said he had information that he was that person and that he had information that could help this case.

Neronha praised the witness, stating that he blew this case right open.

The information provided led authorities to a vehicle, which in turn provided a name. This led us to the photographs of that individual renting the car, which matched the clothing of our shooter here in Providence, that matched the satchel, Neronha explained.

He noted that the suspect had attempted to evade capture by switching registration plates, using both a local plate and a Florida plate on the same vehicle. He knew what he was doing, the Attorney General added.

Upon locating Valente, officers found him with a bag and two firearms. Neronha stated there was evidence in the car that matches exactly what we see at the scene here in Providence.

The suspect was a former graduate student at Brown University, enrolled from the autumn of 2000 to the spring of 2001 to study physics.

Christina Paxson, the president of Brown University, clarified that he had no current affiliation with the institution.

She noted that physics classes often require access to specialised equipment, which was located in the specific building where the Saturday shooting occurred. That attack left two students dead and nine others wounded.

The victims of the campus shooting were identified as Ella Cook, a sophomore from Alabama and vice president of the university’s College Republicans of America chapter, and MukhammadAziz Umurzokov, a first year student from Uzbekistan who aspired to be a neurosurgeon.

The investigation took a significant turn on Thursday when authorities connected the campus violence to the death of 47-year-old MIT professor Nuno FG Loureiro.

Ted Docks, the FBI special agent in charge of the Boston office, told reporters that investigators believe Valente attended the same university in Lisbon as the professor.

The resolution of the manhunt follows a period of public tension. Earlier in the week, Providence Mayor Brett Smiley acknowledged that the release of a previous person of interest on Monday was likely to cause fresh anxiety for our community.

While he admitted the release was a setback, he maintained that the investigation had continued without pause. During the interim, FBI Director Kash Patel faced criticism for prematurely celebrating an arrest on social media before the individual was cleared and released.

Records indicate that Valente had obtained lawful permanent resident status in the United States in September 2017. Authorities are continuing to process evidence from the New Hampshire scene to finalise the connection between the two shooting incidents. - December 19, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington