World

Trump unveils ambitious ‘Golden Fleet’ expansion with new class of battleships

Trump announces plans for a new class of battleships, the "Trump Class," aimed at strengthening naval dominance, introducing advanced technologies, and increasing scrutiny on defense contractors over delays and cost overruns.

Updated 7 months ago · Published on 23 Dec 2025 11:17AM

Trump unveils ambitious ‘Golden Fleet’ expansion with new class of battleships
Trump describes the new battleships as "100 times more powerful" than earlier designs, fleet aims to ensure U.S. naval dominance - December 23, 2025

U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday unveiled plans for a new generation of battleships, marking the beginning of an expanded naval programme intended to enhance America’s maritime supremacy and accelerate accountability among defence contractors.

The initiative, dubbed the "Golden Fleet," will feature vessels that are significantly larger, faster, and more powerful than any previously constructed, with the first ship set to be named USS Defiant.

Reuters, on Tuesday, cited Trump describing the new battleships as "100 times more powerful" than earlier designs and declared that they would form the backbone of an expanded fleet aimed at ensuring U.S. naval dominance.

The programme is expected to begin with two vessels and eventually grow to between 20 and 25 ships.

The President said the ships would weigh more than 30,000 tons, surpassing the size of current destroyers, and would incorporate the latest in military technology, including artificial intelligence systems and directed energy laser weapons. "We haven't built a battleship since 1994.

These cutting-edge vessels will be some of the most lethal surface warfare ships … other than our submarines," Trump said during the announcement at Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida.

U.S. Navy Secretary John Phelan added that the Trump Class battleships would carry conventional naval guns alongside nuclear-armed, sea-launched cruise missiles, underscoring the ships’ formidable offensive capabilities.

While some officials have suggested that the absence of new battleships in recent decades has allowed strategic advantages to accrue to global competitors such as China, Trump insisted the expansion is designed as "a counter to everybody," downplaying any specific targeting of rival nations.

The President also signalled a tightening of oversight on defence contractors, highlighting cost overruns and production delays.

"We don't want to have executives making $50 million a year, issuing big dividends to everybody, and also doing buybacks," he said, emphasising the need for accountability in projects such as F-35 jets and other military equipment.

He announced plans to meet with major defence firms to examine whether executive compensation, dividends, or stock buybacks are contributing to production delays.

The broader naval expansion, in addition to the Trump Class battleships, includes increasing the number of other warships and the introduction of a new, smaller class of frigates previously announced by the Navy.

Trump, who has criticised the appearance of U.S. warships in the past, confirmed he would personally oversee the designs, signalling a hands-on approach in shaping the future fleet.

The announcement represents a high-profile rebranding of the U.S. Navy’s surface combat capabilities under Trump’s personal imprint, combining cutting-edge military technology with a strategic vision for American maritime power. - December 23, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus