World

Five-year-old boy killed after being trapped in resort travelator in Northern Japan

A five-year-old boy died after his arm became trapped in a moving walkway at a ski resort in Hokkaido

Updated 7 months ago · Published on 29 Dec 2025 9:00AM

Five-year-old boy killed after being trapped in resort travelator in Northern Japan
Authorities commence to probe into safety systems after the emergency stop failed to activate automatically - December 29, 2025

A FIVE-YEAR-OLD boy died after his right arm became trapped in a travelator, or moving walkway, at a ski resort in northern Japan on Sunday, according to local authorities cited by Kyodo News.

Fire officials said they received an emergency call from the boy’s mother at about 10am, reporting that her child had become caught in the travelator at the resort in Otaru, Hokkaido.

The victim was identified as Hinata Goto, a resident of Sapporo, a major city near Otaru.

Police and fire officials said the boy is believed to have fallen while attempting to get off the moving walkway, which connects the resort’s parking area to the ski slopes. The travelator was not equipped with handrails.

Resort officials told Kyodo News that the emergency stop function of the walkway did not activate automatically at the time of the incident, forcing the boy’s mother to manually press the stop button.

According to the officials, the safety system had been operating normally during routine inspections conducted earlier on the same day.

As resort staff were unable to free the child, rescue workers were forced to dismantle part of the equipment’s structure to remove him.

A representative of the resort apologised for the incident and said an investigation would be carried out to determine the cause, adding that measures would be taken to prevent a similar accident from occurring in the future.

Police and resort management said the belt-type travelator, which was installed about six years ago, measures approximately 30 metres in length and about 60 centimetres in width.

The ski resort has remained open following the incident, but the travelator involved has been closed. - December 29, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen