World

Deadly escalation in Gaza as Israeli strikes kill dozens, including children and journalists

At least 11 Palestinians, including two 13-year-old boys, three journalists, and a woman, were killed in Gaza on Wednesday in one of the deadliest days since the October ceasefire between Hamas and Israel

Updated 6 months ago · Published on 22 Jan 2026 1:31PM

Deadly escalation in Gaza as Israeli strikes kill dozens, including children and journalists
Israeli airstrikes also targeted sites in southern Lebanon -January 22, 2026

ISRAELI forces killed at least 11 Palestinians in Gaza on Wednesday, including two 13-year-old boys, three journalists, and a woman, hospitals reported, marking one of the deadliest days in the enclave since the ceasefire between Hamas and Israel came into effect in October.

Three journalists were killed while filming near a displacement camp in central Gaza. Israel’s military stated that suspects had been operating a drone that posed a threat to its troops.

Among the victims were Abdul Raouf Shaat, a regular contributor to Agence France-Presse, though he was not on assignment at the time.

AFP described him as “much loved by the AFP team covering Gaza” and demanded a full investigation into his death.

One 13-year-old boy was killed by a drone strike on the eastern side of the Bureij refugee camp alongside his father and a 22-year-old man. It is not clear whether the trio had crossed into Israeli-controlled areas.

The other 13-year-old, Moatsem al-Sharafy, was shot by troops in Bani Suheila. His mother, Safaa al-Sharafy, recounted through tears: “He went out in the morning, hungry. He told me he’d go quickly and come back.”

An Israeli strike later hit a vehicle carrying the journalists as they documented a new displacement camp in the Netzarim area managed by an Egyptian government committee.

Mohammed Mansour, the committee’s spokesperson, said the strike occurred approximately five kilometres from Israeli-controlled territory, and video footage showed the charred vehicle by the roadside.

Nasser Hospital officials confirmed the death of a Palestinian woman in the southern city of Khan Younis and reported that three brothers were killed in a tank shelling at the Bureij camp.

According to Gaza’s health ministry, over 470 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire since the October 10 ceasefire, including at least 77 near the line separating Israeli-controlled areas from the rest of Gaza.

The first phase of the ceasefire focused on returning hostages in exchange for the release of hundreds of Palestinian detainees and a partial withdrawal of Israeli forces. All but one hostage have been returned.

The family of Ran Gvili, a 24-year-old Israeli police officer killed during the Hamas attack on October 7, 2023, continues to appeal for the return of his remains. His mother, Talik Gvili, told the Associated Press:

“We need to continue to amplify Rani’s voice… we, the people of Israel, will not give up on anyone.” Hamas stated it has provided “all information” regarding Gvili’s body to ceasefire mediators and accused Israel of obstructing recovery efforts.

Meanwhile, Israel carried out multiple airstrikes on southern Lebanon, targeting sites it claimed were used by Hezbollah to store weapons and smuggling routes along the Syrian border.

Four border crossings in the Hermel region were hit, while strikes in three southern villages targeted weapons storage facilities. Lebanon’s health ministry reported 19 people wounded, including journalists.

Drone strikes on vehicles in Bazouriyeh and Zahrani killed two further individuals. President Joseph Aoun condemned the actions as “systematic aggression.”

These incidents highlight the fragility of the ceasefire and the ongoing volatility in both Gaza and southern Lebanon, with Israel maintaining near-daily military operations amid unresolved regional tensions. - January 22, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington