World

Trump claims Khamenei killed in joint U.S.–Israel strikes as region braces for escalation

Washington asserts that Iran’s supreme leader has been killed in coordinated air raids, but Tehran remains silent as missile exchanges widen and world powers warn of a slide towards regional war

Updated 5 months ago · Published on 01 Mar 2026 8:12AM

Trump claims Khamenei killed in joint U.S.–Israel strikes as region braces for escalation
Declaring the moment pivotal, Trump says the killing represented “the single greatest chance for the Iranian people to take back their Country” - March 1, 2026

THE Middle East edged closer to full-scale regional war after the United States claimed that Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ali Khamenei, had been killed in joint American and Israeli airstrikes, an assertion not confirmed by Tehran and one that carries profound implications for Iran’s political future.

AP reported U.S. President Donald Trump saying on Sunday that said the cleric had died following what he described as a precise and sustained bombardment of Iranian military and governmental targets.

Declaring the moment pivotal, he said the killing represented “the single greatest chance for the Iranian people to take back their Country.”

He added that “heavy and pinpoint bombing” would continue “uninterrupted throughout the week or, as long as necessary to achieve our objective of PEACE THROUGHOUT THE MIDDLE EAST AND, INDEED, THE WORLD!”

In a subsequent interview with NBC News, the president said of reports that Khamenei had been killed: “We feel that that is a correct story.” He claimed that “a large amount of leadership” in Iran had been eliminated, adding, “I don’t mean like two people,” and asserting that “most” of the country’s senior leadership was “gone.”

Iranian authorities have issued no confirmation of Khamenei’s death. Earlier, Iran’s foreign minister told NBC News that the country’s supreme leader and president were alive “as far as I know.”

During an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council, Iran’s ambassador refrained from addressing the claim directly, focusing instead on condemning the strikes.

In Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told a national audience that there were “growing signs” the Iranian leader had been killed when Israeli forces struck his compound.

Two Israeli officials later indicated privately that his death had been confirmed, although no formal public statement was released.

Washington has defended the military action as necessary to halt what it says was renewed Iranian progress in rebuilding its nuclear infrastructure and advancing missile capabilities.

At the United Nations, US Ambassador Mike Waltz declared: “Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. That principle is not a matter of politics.

“It’s a matter of global security. And to that end, the United States is taking lawful actions.”

The immediate consequence was swift retaliation. Iran launched missiles and drones towards Israel and US military installations across the region.

In Israel, emergency services reported casualties, including the death of a woman in the Tel Aviv area following missile strikes.

Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations, Danny Danon, defended the operation as pre-emptive, saying: “We acted out of necessity,” to counter what he described as “an existential threat.”

Tehran signalled defiance. Ali Larijani, secretary of Iran’s National Security Council, warned that Israel and the United States would “regret their actions.”

He added: “The brave soldiers and the great nation of Iran will deliver an unforgettable lesson to the hellish international oppressors.”

At the United Nations, Secretary-General António Guterres urged restraint, saying: “Everything must be done to prevent a further escalation.”

He warned that “The alternative is a potential wider conflict with grave consequences for civilians and regional stability.”

Russia’s ambassador condemned the assault as “another unprovoked act of aggression,” insisting that “the United States and Israel immediately cease their aggressive actions.”

China’s envoy expressed alarm at “the sudden escalation of regional tensions” and said that “the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of Iran and other regional countries must be respected.”

France’s representative described the conflict as “dangerous for everyone -- and it must cease immediately,” while also condemning “the indiscriminate attacks by Iran against several countries in the region.”

Beyond the principal combatants, the violence reverberated across the Gulf.

Meanwhile, missile and drone activity was reported near major airports in the United Arab Emirates, where authorities spoke of a “blatant attack involving Iranian ballistic missiles.”

European Union foreign ministers convened emergency discussions, warning that the confrontation risked drawing in further states.

Within Iran, uncertainty reigned.

Witnesses in Tehran reported that some residents reacted to news of Khamenei’s reported death with visible celebration, while others remained cautious amid the absence of official confirmation.

The cleric, who succeeded Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in 1989, had no publicly designated successor, raising the prospect of an internal power struggle should his death be formally acknowledged.

The removal of the Islamic Republic’s second supreme leader, if verified, would mark the most consequential moment in Iran’s political history since the 1979 revolution.

As airstrikes persist and diplomatic channels strain under mounting pressure, the question facing regional and global powers alike is whether this episode signals the beginning of regime change in Tehran or the onset of a far wider war. - March 1, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates