World

Quake death toll rises to 37 people as rescuers battle thousands of aftershocks

Authorities continue search, rescue and damage assessment operations amid more than 1,000 aftershocks and widespread destruction across the worst-hit regions

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 09 Jun 2026 10:01AM

Quake death toll rises to 37 people as rescuers battle thousands of aftershocks
The death toll from the powerful 7.8-magnitude offshore earthquake that struck southern Philippines has risen to 37 (Photo from AFP) - June 9, 2026

THE human toll from the devastating 7.8-magnitude earthquake off the coast of Sarangani continues to mount, with Philippine authorities reporting 37 fatalities as emergency teams race to assist affected communities across southern Mindanao.

The latest figures released by the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) indicate that 33 deaths were recorded in Region 12 (SOCCSKSARGEN) and four in Region 11 (Davao Region), although officials stressed that the numbers remain subject to verification.

"These are still for validation," Bernama-PNA cited OCD deputy spokesperson Diego Agustin Mariano telling reporters.

Authorities are separately verifying 18 deaths in Sarangani province and General Santos City, along with three fatalities in South Cotabato, as rescue and recovery operations continue.

While a comprehensive assessment of the destruction has yet to be completed, officials have confirmed that General Santos City suffered some of the most severe damage when the earthquake struck at 7.37am on Monday beneath the Celebes Sea.

The disaster has left hundreds of families affected, with earlier reports indicating that 144 people were injured and four others remain missing.

Compounding challenges for emergency responders, the earthquake has triggered an intense sequence of aftershocks. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology reported that 1,055 aftershocks had been recorded by 7am on Tuesday, ranging in magnitude from 1.3 to 6.7.

The continuing seismic activity has heightened concerns over structural safety and hampered relief operations in several affected areas.

As local authorities work to determine the full extent of the damage, the national government has mobilised support for disaster-hit communities, particularly in Sarangani and neighbouring provinces.

The Office of Civil Defense said it is coordinating closely with local governments to provide emergency relief and humanitarian assistance. Among the immediate measures being implemented is the deployment of generators and fuel supplies to hospitals to ensure uninterrupted medical services for the injured and displaced.

Officials have urged residents to remain vigilant as aftershocks continue and emergency assessments progress across the affected regions. - June 9, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit