World

Venezuela earthquakes death toll rises to 188 as rescuers search rubble for survivors

At least 188 people have been killed and more than 1,500 injured after powerful back-to-back earthquakes in Venezuela, according to the latest reports

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 26 Jun 2026 7:56AM

Venezuela earthquakes death toll rises to 188 as rescuers search rubble for survivors
The death toll is expected to climb and many residents are on the streets in the capital Caracas and surrounding communities - June 26, 2026

VENEZUELAN authorities have launched an urgent, large-scale rescue operation as hopes fade for hundreds of people still trapped beneath the rubble after the country's most powerful earthquake in more than a century devastated large parts of the nation, leaving at least 188 people dead and more than 1,500 injured.

The twin earthquakes, which struck on Wednesday, flattened homes, damaged hundreds of buildings and caused widespread destruction across La Guaira, Caracas and neighbouring regions, forcing thousands of survivors to spend another night without shelter as emergency crews continued searching for signs of life.

CNN reported officials saying at least 157 people remain missing, while more than 200 others are believed to be trapped beneath approximately 250 collapsed or severely damaged buildings.

The scale of the disaster has prompted an international response, with elite urban search-and-rescue teams from Fairfax County, Virginia, and Los Angeles County deploying from the United States.

Mexico has also dispatched military rescue specialists and medical personnel to reinforce operations, while several countries continue searching for information about their nationals caught in the disaster.

 Spain said at least 80 of its citizens remain unaccounted for.

Visiting the worst-hit coastal state of La Guaira, Interior Minister Diosdado Cabello urged residents to work closely with emergency authorities as rescue efforts intensified.

"We have the people of La Guaira organized so far, and that is one of the things we ask of them most: that the people organize themselves, that they trust their government," Cabello said in remarks broadcast on state television VTV.

He said heavy machinery and specialist rescue brigades had been mobilised to accelerate recovery efforts and appealed for communities to help identify those still missing.

"We ask our people that, in the midst of this situation, we be able to organize ourselves in the communes, we be able to organize ourselves in all the structures we have to know who is missing, where they were, and so that we can do the rescue work with more precision," he said.

Interim President Delcy Rodríguez also travelled to La Guaira to oversee emergency operations, chairing a high-level meeting involving senior government officials, military commanders and disaster response agencies.

According to a statement from the presidency, the government's immediate priority "is focused on expediting operational decision-making to safeguard the lives of the population and assist the affected families."

Authorities said a multi-sector emergency contingency plan had been activated, including the deployment of heavy machinery and the rapid distribution of essential relief supplies such as drinking water, food, mattresses and blankets.

"As part of the multi-sector contingency plan, authorities have ordered the mobilization of heavy machinery and the priority distribution of basic supplies such as drinking water, food, mattresses, and blankets to those affected.

“Rescue, risk management, and social assistance teams remain deployed on the ground under a unified coordination scheme to guarantee the protection of the people of Guairá during this emergency," the statement said.

The catastrophe has struck Venezuela at a time when the country continues to grapple with prolonged political and economic challenges, further complicating relief efforts as thousands of displaced residents await aid and rescuers race against time to locate survivors buried beneath the debris. - June 26, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)