World

King Charles to end Buckingham Palace residency as monarch reveals £12.9 million tax bill

Royal officials, for the first time, reveal the Monarch's annual tax payment as part of a wider drive for greater financial transparency

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 26 Jun 2026 6:05PM

King Charles to end Buckingham Palace residency as monarch reveals £12.9 million tax bill
King Charles III will not return to live at Buckingham Palace after its decade-long £369 million refurbishment is completed next year - June 26, 2026

BUCKINGHAM Palace will cease to be the British monarch's primary residence for the first time in almost two centuries after His Majesty King Charles III decided to remain at Clarence House even after the landmark's £369 million refurbishment is completed next year.

The announcement, made by royal officials on Thursday, marks a significant departure from a tradition dating back to 1837, when Queen Victoria established Buckingham Palace as the official London residence of the sovereign.

Instead, the palace will continue to serve as the ceremonial and administrative headquarters of the monarchy, hosting state visits, investitures and other official engagements.

"It is and will remain 'monarchy HQ', the crown jewel of our national buildings, with the sovereign's standard flying proudly from the roof whenever His Majesty is in London," Reuters quoted James Chalmers, the King's Treasurer and Keeper of the Privy Purse saying on Friday.

The extensive refurbishment, which began in 2017, involves replacing ageing electrical wiring, plumbing and heating systems throughout the historic building.

Neither King Charles nor the late Queen Elizabeth II has stayed overnight at Buckingham Palace since 2019. While the King will retain private accommodation within the palace, Clarence House will remain his principal London residence.

Royal officials also announced that public access to Buckingham Palace will be expanded after the refurbishment, although further details have yet to be released. The palace currently attracts about 700,000 visitors each year.

Separately, the Royal Household disclosed for the first time that King Charles voluntarily paid £12.9 million in tax during the 2024/25 financial year, placing him among the United Kingdom's highest taxpayers.

Although the British monarch is exempt by law from paying income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax, Charles has continued the voluntary tax-paying practice introduced by Queen Elizabeth II in 1993.

Officials said the King paid £11.7 million in tax during the previous financial year and more than £30 million since ascending the throne in 2022.

The King receives private income primarily from the Duchy of Lancaster estate, which is expected to generate £25.2 million during 2025/26, in addition to investment income and other assets.

Royal officials also confirmed that the Sovereign Grant, which funds official royal duties, palace maintenance, staffing and travel, increased from £86 million in 2024/25 to £132 million in 2025/26, largely due to higher Crown Estate revenues driven by offshore wind farm leases.

The grant is projected to rise to £137.9 million in 2026/27 before being reduced to £100 million from 2027/28, a move officials said reflected the King's own wishes.

"This is not a blank cheque," Chalmers said, adding that safeguards remain in place to ensure public funding remains proportionate.

The disclosures follow heightened scrutiny of royal finances after reports last year revealed that the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall charged rent to public bodies, including the National Health Service, the military and schools.

Prince William's office separately disclosed that he paid £7.76 million in tax during 2024/25 and directed £1.5 million in rental income from a former prison site towards the local community.

Despite the unprecedented disclosures, anti-monarchy campaign group Republic argued that greater transparency is still required.

"Another hike for Charles, more spin and gloss and more misdirection on taxes," said Republic chief executive Graham Smith. "This is the way with royal reporting: the more they reveal, the more questions are raised." - June 26, 2026

(1 Pound sterling = RM5.40)

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident