World

Austrians defy ban to protest virus restrictions

Neo-nazi activists among crowd that refused to disband and blocked traffic

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Feb 2021 9:50AM

Austrians defy ban to protest virus restrictions
Many of those who took part in yesterday's march in Vienna, which was organised by the far-right FPOe party, ignored government regulations on mask-wearing and social-distancing measures. – AFP pic, February 1, 2021

VIENNA – Thousands of people, including some neo-nazis, defied a ban to march here yesterday in protest against the curfew and lockdown aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus.

Police had on Saturday announced a ban on the march after around 10,000 turned up for a similar such protest earlier in the month, many of them ignoring the safety restrictions designed to slow the spread of the virus.

Many of those who took part in yesterday's march, which was organised by the far-right FPOe party, followed suit, ignoring government regulations on mask-wearing and social-distancing measures.

Neo-nazi activists were among the crowd, which refused to disband and blocked traffic as it began to march towards the national parliament.

Police arrested around 10 protesters and four officers were injured during scuffles.

It was the first time that the FPOe, and member Herbert Kickl who is a former interior minister, officially called for a protest against the third Austrian lockdown.

"We are seeing unprecedented censure," Kickl told media Saturday, before the party put in a second request for a rally permit, which was also refused.

The reason for the refusal was given as a risk of increased transmission rates of new variants, and a "lack of contact traceability" among those who were to take part in the march.

Austrian schools, sports clubs, hotels, restaurants, cultural venues and many stores have been shut to stem the spread of Covid-19, but the country's iconic ski resorts have been allowed to remain open. – AFP, February 1, 2021

Related News

World / 2w

Former King Charles adviser arrested under UK terrorism law after Palestine Action protest

Malaysia / 2mth

Najib’s son joins protestors against high-rise development in Langkawi

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Community / 3mth

Penang’s Karpal Singh Drive residents to hold another protest

Malaysia / 4mth

'Tangkap Azam Baki' placard raised during speech, two detained

World / 4mth

Large crowds rally against Donald Trump in No Kings protest

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month