World

Snap lockdown in Australia’s Victoria, but tennis tourney plays on

Australian Open will be played in ‘bubble’ sans fans

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 12 Feb 2021 7:30PM

Snap lockdown in Australia’s Victoria, but tennis tourney plays on
The five-day virus lockdown in Victoria state is a devastating setback for residents and businesses that underwent similar restrictions in and around Melbourne city for more than 100 days late last year. – AFP pic, February 12, 2021

MELBOURNE – More than six million people were ordered into a snap five-day lockdown today to contain a new coronavirus outbreak in Australia’s second-most-populous state, forcing the Australian Open tennis tournament here to shut fans out.

The lockdown across Victoria state from midnight (1300 GMT) was ordered out of fear a small outbreak of the “hyper-infectious” British strain of the virus would undo Australia’s so-far successful battle to contain the pandemic, said state Prime Minister Daniel Andrews.

It deals another blow to the year’s first Grand Slam, which started three weeks late to allow international players to quarantine and has already welcomed tens of thousands of socially distanced fans in the biggest crowds seen in tennis since the pandemic.

Under the lockdown restrictions, people will be allowed to leave their homes only for a limited number of “essential” activities, like shopping and exercise, and public gatherings are prohibited. Masks are mandatory when outside the home.

It is a devastating setback for residents and businesses that underwent a similar lockdown in and around the city here for more than 100 days late last year, in a successful effort to contain an outbreak that infected thousands and killed about 800.

Small business owners are all the more distraught as the measures come over the Valentine’s Day weekend, when they were counting on big profits to help recover from the earlier lockdown.  

“These restrictions are all about making sure that we respond appropriately to the fastest-moving, most infectious strain of the coronavirus that we have seen,” Andrews told a hastily organised press conference today after the number of cases linked to a quarantine hotel at Melbourne airport rose overnight.

“I am confident that this short, sharp circuit-breaker will be effective.

“We will be able to smother this.”

Australian Open director Craig Tiley gave an assurance that the tournament will continue, with players deemed essential workers exempted from the lockdown, competing in a “bubble form”.

“The players have all been very good about it. They understand. They have been through a rigorous programme already.” – AFP, February 12, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 4mth

Malaysia, Australia back Pope Leo's call for peace, urge dialogue to end global conflicts

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Education / 7mth

Legal board withdraws recognition of law degrees from 2 Australian, NZ universities

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

World / 10mth

Australian authorities block 10 containers of illegal tyre waste export to Malaysia

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus