World

German FM says troop deployment in Afghanistan could be extended

Heiko Maas says talks to end deployment with the Taliban are unlikely to conclude before March deadline

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Feb 2021 9:10PM

German FM says troop deployment in Afghanistan could be extended
German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas speaks with German troops in December. Berlin has the second largest contingent of soldiers in Afghanistan after the US. – Pic courtesy of Heiko Maas on Twitter, February 13, 2021

BERLIN – Germany wants to extend its military presence in Afghanistan, where it has the second largest contingent after the United States, Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said today.

Peace negotiations between the government and the Taliban “will not be concluded before the end of March,” when Germany’s annual mandate is due to expire, he told the Funke media group.

“That is why we must prepare for different scenarios, including a new mandate with the Bundestag”, Germany’s lower house of parliament.

An agreement between the United States and the Taliban stipulates that all US forces should withdraw by May 2021.

But a top US official warned yesterday that President Joe Biden faced “serious dilemmas” as the deadline approaches, and the Taliban show no sign of ending their violence.

The new US leader has ordered a review of the deal Washington cut with the Taliban last year. 

It promised the withdrawal of all foreign forces by May 1 in return for security guarantees from the militants and a commitment to peace talks with the Afghan government.

NATO defence ministers are also to discuss later this month whether the alliance’s 10,000-strong mission should stay or go.

Donald Trump in his final days as US president  unilaterally reduced US forces in Afghanistan to just 2,500 – the lowest since the start of the war in 2001. 

Several groups in Germany’s parliament, in particular the liberals and far-left, have called recently for a strategy of disengagement from Afghanistan after 20 years of military presence in the country. – AFP, February 13, 2021

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt