World

Ardern orders Auckland into snap virus lockdown

Order issued after 3 family members contract Covid-19, marking first community cases in almost half-a-year

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 14 Feb 2021 3:41PM

Ardern orders Auckland into snap virus lockdown
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says the lockdown in Auckland is ‘just in case’ the country’s latest coronavirus infections involve ‘one of the more transmissible strains’. – AFP pic, February 14, 2021

WELLINGTON – New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern ordered the country’s biggest city Auckland, into a snap lockdown for the first time in nearly six months today after three coronavirus cases emerged in the community.

The Pacific island nation has been widely praised for its handling of the pandemic, with just 25 deaths in a population of five million.

But almost two million residents were told to stay at home from midnight, when the level-three lockdown begins, with schools and businesses to close except for essential services.
“The main thing we are asking people in Auckland to do is stay at home to avoid any risk of spread,” Ardern said.

She added that the restrictions were “just in case it could be one of the more transmissible strains of Covid that we need to act with a high degree of caution around”.

It came after three members of an Auckland family tested positive, with authorities concerned about the “new and active” infections as there was no obvious source of transmission.

The city will also be ring-fenced from the rest of New Zealand, with travel in and out of the metropolis highly restricted for the next three days.

The remainder of the country will move to alert level two, Ardern said, with people required to wear masks on public transport and gatherings limited to a maximum of 100 people.

“I know we all feel the same way when this happens – not again,” she said.

“But remember, we have been here before, that means we know how to get out of this – together.”

Too soon to judge 

Health officials said a mother – who works for a company providing laundry and catering services to international flights – and her daughter tested positive yesterday, before the father returned a positive sample today.

A fourth member of the household is also showing symptoms of Covid-19 but returned a negative test.

New Zealand health czar Ashley Bloomfield said the initial focus was on the mother’s workplace “because of its obvious connections to the border”.

But he added it was “too soon to rule in or out” any source of transmission and the woman had not been at work for eight days before testing positive.

Auckland spent more than two weeks in lockdown last August after a virus outbreak was linked to a worker at a coolstore handling imported frozen freight, but New Zealand has largely been enjoying relaxed restrictions for months.

Several cases of Covid-19 were also detected in the city three weeks ago, before being traced back to a hotel where the people had completed quarantine after arriving from overseas. 

Ardern has been widely praised for her management of the pandemic, with New Zealand recording fewer than 2,000 infections.

The country closed its borders and implemented a strict five-week lockdown in March and April last year, with occasional virus outbreaks since then being quickly contained. 

Ardern has said New Zealand’s borders were likely to remain closed for the rest of this year while the pandemic continues to rage worldwide. – AFP, February 14, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 3mth

Malaysian doctor couple saves passenger from allergic shock mid-flight

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month