World

Cambodia confirms US-funded defence facility has been razed

Satellite images showed a US-funded facility on Ream's naval base had been demolished

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 04 Oct 2020 4:00PM

Cambodia confirms US-funded defence facility has been razed
Cambodia's Deputy Prime Minister Tea Banh said the facility will be relocated to a new spot as the infrastructure was getting old – AFP pic, October 4, 2020

PHONM PENH – Cambodia has razed a US-funded defence facility on its southern coast, the deputy prime minister confirmed Sunday, the latest move in the ongoing controversial expansion of a strategically crucial naval base being developed with Chinese aid.

The Wall Street Journal reported last year on a secret draft deal allowing China to dock warships at the Ream naval base near the kingdom's coastal city of Sihanoukville. 

But Cambodia – awash in recent years with Chinese investments – has strenuously denied the report, although strongman premier Hun Sen has said aid from Beijing will fund the naval base's development. 

Satellite images released by the Center for Strategic and International Studies this week showed a US-funded facility on Ream's naval base had been demolished, raising questions "about rumoured Chinese access", said the Washington-based think tank. 

But Tea Banh, Cambodia's deputy prime minister and defence minister, dismissed concerns Sunday. 

"We relocated the facility to a new spot. We cannot keep it anymore and the building is already old," he told AFP, confirming that it was knocked down last month. 

The Tactical Headquarters of the National Committee for Maritime Security was inaugurated in 2012. 

It will be "far better" in its new location, Tea Banh said, adding that Cambodia used "only a small assistance" from the US for the now-demolished building.

The new facility is currently under construction about 30 kilometres (18 miles) north of Ream. 

The Ream base has generated scrutiny for its strategic location in the Gulf of Thailand, which would provide ready access to the fiercely contested South China Sea – a key global shipping route.

Beijing claims the majority of the resource-rich sea, vying with six other countries.

Hun Sen has repeatedly insisted Cambodia's constitution forbids any foreign military base within its borders. 

Analysts say the wily premier is deeply attuned to the potential for an anti-China backlash from the public – especially in Sihanoukville, where businesses and casinos are largely now Chinese-owned. 

One of the world's longest-serving leaders, Hun Sen has in recent years tilted away from the US due to Washington's criticism of his government's alleged abuses. 

On Saturday night, he issued a public letter wishing US President Donald Trump a "speedy recovery" from the coronavirus. – AFP, October 4, 2020

Related News

World / 3y

AFP journalist killed in rocket attack in Eastern Ukraine

World / 3y

Turkiye-Syria quake deaths to top 50,000: UN relief chief

Entertainment / 4y

'Strange' reigns but 'Downton' shows class on N.America screens

Entertainment / 4y

Depp lawyers wrap up cross-examination of Amber Heard

Tech / 4y

'Like family': Japan's virtual YouTubers make millions from fans

Entertainment / 4y

Will Smith banned from Oscars ceremonies for 10 years

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons