World

New Armenia-Azerbaijan clashes as ceasefire fails to hold

Correspondents not far from the front line heard thumping echoes of shelling today morning

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 12 Oct 2020 5:38PM

New Armenia-Azerbaijan clashes as ceasefire fails to hold
Women react as rescuers search for victims or survivors at the blast site hit by a rocket during the fighting between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh, in the city of Ganja, Azerbaijan, on October 11, 2020. – AFP,

STEPANAKERT – Armenian and Azerbaijani forces were engaged in new clashes overnight and today morning, AFP correspondents said, as the two sides accused each other of violating a Russian-brokered ceasefire over the Nagorno-Karabakh region.

An AFP correspondent in the Azerbaijani town of Barda not far from the front line heard thumping echoes of shelling today morning.

In Karabakh's main city of Stepanakert, an AFP photographer heard the sounds of shelling from the direction of the town of Hadrut.

The worst fighting in almost three decades erupted last month over Nagorno-Karabakh, a breakaway region of Azerbaijan controlled by Armenians since a 1990s war but which is not recognised by any state.

The Azerbaijani defence ministry accused Armenian forces of not complying with a ceasefire agreement negotiated in marathon talks in Moscow last week overseen by Russia.

"Armenian armed forces, which did not comply with the humanitarian truce, repeatedly tried to attack the positions of the Azerbaijan army," the ministry said.

It said it had destroyed a "large number of enemy forces" as well as one T-72 tank and three Grad multiple rocket launchers.

Armenian defence ministry spokeswoman Shushan Stepanyan said for her part that Azerbaijan was "now intensively shelling the southern front".

Armenia claimed that "the adversary suffered great losses of manpower and military equipment" but did not provide further details. 

After 11 hours of talks between the Armenian and Azerbaijani foreign ministers in Moscow, the arch enemies agreed early Saturday to a humanitarian ceasefire. But the truce has not held.

Both sides have exhanged accusations of intensive shelling of civilian areas and escalating two weeks of fierce clashes.

The 1990s war – which ended with a 1994 ceasefire that did not present a long-term solution to the conflict – resulted in the deaths of some 30,000 people.

Nearly 500 people including more than 60 civilians, have been killed in the latest fighting since last month, according to a tally based on tolls given by both sides. – AFP, October 12, 2020

Related News

Opinion / 4mth

In a fractured world, Malaysia must remember who we are

Malaysia / 4mth

Domestic medicine supply remains stable and under control – MOH

Opinion / 4mth

Middle East conflict: Most powerful weapon is the disruption of economic stability

Malaysia / 5mth

PPC closely monitoring global shipping conditions amidst escalating tensions in Middle East

Malaysia / 5mth

Middle East conflict: RON95 price under control - PM Anwar

Opinion / 5mth

US-Israel - lighting the fuse for a Middle Eastern explosion

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident