World

Ecuador indigenous group sues president for ‘crimes against humanity’

It’s related to protests last October that left 10 people dead

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Oct 2020 2:20PM

Ecuador indigenous group sues president for ‘crimes against humanity’
The move by Ecuadorian President Lenin Moreno’s government to hike fuel prices last year led to widespread demonstrations. – AFP pic, October 13, 2020

QUITO – Ecuador’s largest indigenous organisation yesterday filed a suit against President Lenin Moreno and other authorities for alleged crimes against humanity committed during protests last October that left 10 people dead.

The Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities of Ecuador (CONAIE) asked the prosecutor’s office to investigate “crimes against humanity” because it believes the crackdown was “a systematic and widespread attack on the civilian population”, the group’s lawyer, Carlos Poveda, told AFP.

“We have asked that there be no isolated or circumstantial investigations. We have asked that all the complaints be united that they be dealt with in a context of crimes against humanity”.

The government has yet to comment on the suit.

A wave of protests, marked by violence, erupted in Ecuador in the first half of last October, after the government increased fuel prices.

The demonstrations led the government to declare a state of emergency, and at one point, Moreno moved his government from the capital here to the port city of Guayaquil. He eventually backed down and re-established fuel subsidies.

Poveda said the suit is against Moreno, the interior and defence ministers, the police chief and the comptroller.

“We had filed complaints, we had told the state that they should investigate the events of October 2019, but this irresponsible government and the Ecuadorian justice system have not been able to respond and give an explanation to the Ecuadorian people,” CONAIE president Jaime Vargas told the press.

According to data provided by the ombudsman’s office, the protests left 10 people dead, 1,340 injured and 1,192 arrested.

The demonstrations also caused an estimated US$821 million (RM3.4 billion) in damage. – AFP, October 13, 2020

Related News

World / 2y

Ecuador condemns killing of 4 children in armed attack

Places / 3y

On Galapagos Islands, Darwin’s flycatcher makes a tiny comeback

World / 3y

Ecuador landslide death toll rises to 50

World / 3y

6.7-magnitude quake hits Ecuador, kills at least 12

Places / 3y

Ayahuasca, 'source of knowledge' in the heart of the Amazon

World / 3y

Ecuador says trade talks with Mexico at ‘dead end’

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons