World

Far-right protesters clash with Rome police over virus curfew

The protests follow decisions this week by several regions to impose overnight curfews

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Oct 2020 4:03PM

Far-right protesters clash with Rome police over virus curfew
Italian police officers clash with far right Forza Nuova party activists in Rome Andreas. – AFP pic, October 25, 2020

ROME – Dozens of far-right protesters in Rome clashed with riot police during a demonstration against the curfew early on Sunday, as Italy's government prepared to tighten coronavirus restrictions further.

Some 200 masked militants belonging to neo-fascist group Forza Nuova hurled projectiles at police and set rubbish bins alight in a second night of street protests after hundreds of demonstrators clashed with officers in Naples further south.

Police in the Italian capital arrested seven protesters and reported two officers injured, according to the Repubblica daily.

The protests follow decisions this week by several regions to impose overnight curfews in a bid to slow rising Covid-19 infection numbers.

Italy on Saturday reported nearly 20,000 new cases over a 24-hour period, a record number.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has said he does not want to impose a new and economically-debilitating blanket lockdown of the type imposed earlier in the year, when the pandemic gripped the country.

The entire nation was confined to home in March for two months, precipitating Italy's worst post-war recession.

Conte is nonetheless expected to announce a fresh tightening of restrictions Sunday, which could include reduced opening hours for restaurants and bars and the closure of public gyms and swimming pools.

Piedmont in the north and Sicily in the south will follow Campania, Lazio and Lombardy next week in imposing curfews, with other regions expected to join them – unless the government first imposes nationwide rules.

Calls were issued on social media for Rome to follow Naples' example in challenging the curfew, which in the capital runs from midnight to 5am.

Protesters in Rome's central Piazza del Popolo square waited until one minute before midnight to set off fireworks in the colours of the Italian flag, don balaclavas, and throw flares and firecrackers at the police.

"We refuse to accept that the virus is around one minute before midnight and the next minute, no," Forza Nuova leader Giuliano Castellino said, according to AGI news agency.

Italy was the first European country to be badly hit by the virus and has now registered over 500,000 cases and more than 37,000 deaths, according to health ministry figures. – AFP, October 25, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

TH faced risk of RM74.5 billion liability exposure before bailout, Dewan told

Malaysia / 1w

Kedah may delay Penang lease claim documents till change of federal government

Malaysia / 1w

Guan Eng questions Penang PH's stance on UMNO

Malaysia / 4w

Deaf e-hailing driver sues government, police over alleged assault, seeks disability access reforms

Malaysia / 1mth

No place for PAS in my govt if I become MB – Onn Hafiz

Malaysia / 1mth

Johor state election: PAS ready to help BN form state government

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates